Update on saxony hatch due Friday!

Okay I just checked and he IS still alive..now I've helped them hatch before when it was just a humidity issue but I had the extra space from the aircell to help me out, but never with the duckling the wrong way..what do you think would be the safest way to create an initial opening would be?

Tap the side of the tip with something dull to get a small crack. Then use your finger nails and break away to the 1/4 mark of the egg. Carefully pull back the membrane, but stop the moment you see blood. Continue to the 1/3 mark, if you don't see blood. The goal is to get to the half mark, but not beyond. The final push has to come from the baby itself, and it will once the yolk is absorbed. Never, ever pull out a duckling. Just remember you have to continue helping once you start to help. It's not a big issue. You stop when you see blood and put it back into in the incubator for another 4 hours before you continue. Some people never help and let nature take care of things, which very often means letting it die. I rather help and have another lovely duckling. I think you will have another nice little one.

Okay thank you, hubby and I are about to get to it...also I have another potential issue I've never run across before. One of the little ones has his little beak sticking out the hole and I haven't seen him pull it back in for a few hours, could he be stuck?

Yes, he is stuck. You see one large hole and the bill sticking out for hours and nothing happens. He also needs help. Most likely the membrane got stuck on him. Duck membranes are very thick in comparison to chicken egg and can do that. Just had to help out a gosling with the same issue. He is now 4.5 weeks old and a ball of fun.

Last edited:
He is officially unstuck and with one good push he will be all the way out!
woot.gif

Oh you are such a good midwife.
cool.png

It's not that hard to help. You give it time first and then jump in when truly needed. It is always good when you don't rush and jump the gun on a hatch. Now we just have to worry on the one being upside down in the egg.

Well I think I misjudged that one, I had my hubby look at it with me in the bathroom (where it was dark) and we saw what appeared to be the duck trying to pip internally. So we put him back, I'll keep checking on him but for now he seems active enough, just a little behind the others.

We have a ducky!!!!!
jumpy.gif

I went to check on them just in time and got to see him hatch!!! Duck ABC's, you sure breed some gorgeous babies! I managed to get the whole thing recorded, but my husband has a potty mouth so once I get music covering the background sounds I will post it on youtube and then post the url...but in the mean time!!
80244_014.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom