'Update' on shed/coop project

Say-ruh

Songster
6 Years
Sep 23, 2017
Hey again, some of you may remember my previous post on wanting to convert my old shed into a coop. I'm sure you can find it in my profile if you're interested

I had some time to go out there & check out the roof & found it's in worse shape than I thought. Several people suggested I just replace the obviously water-damaged section but I don't think I'm going to be able to get away with that, at least not long term, two reasons why:

1) it doesn't have any tar paper/roofing felt in between the shingles & plywood.

2)The plywood is 15/32, & from the inside (hopefully) you can see from the pics below, that the roofing nails they used punctured through the shingles & plywood

I don't know much about building things, but that one seems like a big no-no. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, here's some pics. If a pic doesn't seem obvious why it's posted, look for splintering

20171007_095137.jpg
20171007_095137.jpg
20171007_095137.jpg
20171007_095000.jpg
20171007_094625.jpg

Honestly I'm starting to wonder if maybe I shouldn't just build a brand new coop but just make it much smaller, with an option to expand later.

TIA, Sarah

Attachments

• 20171007_094954.jpg
    20171007_094954.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 2
The roofing nails going through the plywood is preferred as then the ridges on the nails hold properly.

No tar paper is a problem.

A new roof can be pricey. Of course anything you build from scratch will need a roof too.

Have you looked at shed kits at Home Depot and Lowes?
They would need modifications to be a coop like windows and ventilation.
The good thing is everything is precut and has directions. It does take multiple people as things are heavy and awkward for one person.
I don't think they come with a floor or shingles either. Just something to consider.

I have, & wow, some of those get pricey

So I don't suppose adding tar paper & new shingles to the existing plywood is an option?

Since you already have water damage, how rotten is the roof? If you can't sit on it to roof it, you will need new decking (plywood or OSB). You may get away with only replacing one sheet of wood.

How is the rest of the building structure? If it salvageable, then reroof. Instead of shingles, I went with roll roofing. Get the roof cement to make water tight and don't be stingy. You also don't have a drip edge. That will keep the water from rolling back under the roofing.

Google is your friend and lots of how to.

Best wishes and smile - remember you are having fun!

Pricey for sure.

We built one that was 10x10 years ago. Many years ago. Ended up about 1300 all in.

My 8x14 coop ended up at 1500 including the 16x23 run. We used MANY reclaimed materials in the coop. Roof, chain link, lexan for the windows and the two long sides were all reclaimed materials.

The 6x8 coop with hoop run cost about 700 total. It got reclaimed metal for the roof and siding from a place that buys slightly damaged, over buys and reclaimed materials. The siding was 7 bucks a sheet, the metal roof we already had from the big coop build and the floor decking I already had.

Building a coop is costly. Building a shed is also costly. Buying tools to fix the existing shed will cost some but you will then have tools for future projects.

If it were my decision I would fix the structure you already have.

How is the rest of the building structure? If it salvageable, then reroof. Instead of shingles, I went with roll roofing. Get the roof cement to make water tight and don't be stingy. You also don't have a drip edge. That will keep the water from rolling back under the roofing.
It is salvagable...but will take some effort and know how(which will be learning curves as OP is a novice builder-but she can do it!).
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/pics-of-my-shed-that-i-want-to-convert.1200260/

Rip off the shingles, replace the rotted parts of sheathing, reshingle(or roll roofing) with proper under layment and drip edges......
...and remember the big@ss tarp https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-want-to-convert.1200260/page-4#post-19003067

Like 21hens-incharge said, it's perfectly normal to see the nails. A longer nail will take more effort for mother nature to pull the roofing off in the event of a major storm. It is perfectly acceptable to cut out ONLY the damaged section and replace it. Replacing all the sheathing is not necessary.

You do, however, need to put down roofing paper. It's inexpensive and is a must on any roof. YouTube has a million videos that will offer great instruction, and ease your mind about how to do it so it will last.

Back
Top Bottom