1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

update on the "no eggs consipiracy"....help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lynnk, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Lynnk

Lynnk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    Hi again.
    I posted a couple of days ago about my 7 hens who are very prolific layers, suddenly all stopping laying at once.
    I've been going out to the coop at differing times to observe to see if they are eating each others eggs...or heading off to some hidden corner to lay them.
    Yesterday, I spent over an hour watching one of my girls who looked like she was about to lay an egg. I thought I could grab it before the others or she could break and eat it if that was what was going on.
    She never layed an egg. I checked back several times and eventually she had moved from the spot, but no sign of a broken egg, whole egg or ransome note.
    Anyone who might have any ideas what is going on? It is driving me crazy! I cleaned out their coops as I usually do, and that usually stimulates them to go and establish their ownership of their laying boxes, but this time, no sign of eggs. they've definately been lying in there, but not an egg in sight.

2. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Hmmm, how hot is it where you are?

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    maybe they are on strike! we have about 20 that are good layers, and have been getting about 12 a day, sometimes less... I don't know if some are laying every other day or so, but I just keep fresh water and lots of shade. Do they stay in the hen house or do they get outside?

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    It's most likely the heat.

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I know if something really disturbs them (such as moving to a new home, a predator attacks the coop, lots of scary noise, etc.) laying can be discontinued for a while after. Did anything potentially chicken-upsetting happen recently that you know about? If so, they'll prob'ly start up again before too long.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I agree, the heat/humidity put a fast end to eggs here too [​IMG]

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Here, too. The heat and humidity have been awful lately, and my girls seem to not lay wehn it's wicket hot/humid.

8. Lynnk

Lynnk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    Thanks for your quick replies...
    it has been warm, but not humid. I live in BC, Canada on Vancouver Island so it has been about 22-24 celcius (about 72-75 f.) but no humidity.I'm not aware of any upsetting incidents and they are all still as friendly with me as always... in your experience, would I know if they were eating the eggs?
    They have their houses, but then they can come an go anytime in a big fenced coop. I have a little door (made by the girls actually) which I can open to let them have more room to roam around the property. I let them out if I'm around but either way they have lots of area to roam within their run and lots of bugs, gravel bits and shade (they have formed a little club house under a bush, hence the suspicion of conspiracy lol.

9. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I think it may be what they are use to, weather wise. I live in south Mississippi and our weather is TOO HOT! It has been in the upper 90's with horrible humidity. Our heat index is up to 110 most days. It is hot here 8 or more months a year. My hens are still laying. I have heard that the heat will hamper laying but mine do fine. My father in law has the same breeds as mine and has been getting more than his usual number of eggs the last few weeks.

Good luck though! [​IMG]

10. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I don't know why they are not laying but you would know if they were eating the eggs. You would find wet spots and bits of shell in the nests, and yolk covered faces. My older girls are laying very soft shelled eggs and a couple have broken...the culprits all had orange faces.....

Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by