Update Peeps My Albino Quail: english white albino quail

northernlivie

Songster
8 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi All,

An update on Peeps my English White albino quail.

Scroll to just skip and see the DIVA herself! :love:lol:

She is delayed in learning quail things and has deficits but we adore her. She can eat and learned to drink from a cup style waterer. She typically gets in a feed bowl and scratches with her feet to eat but also recently learned to eat from the bowl attached to the side of the hutch. Finally at 6 wks old she learned to forage. She is rather hilarious because the process of learning to shuffle things on the ground has meant she will be "foraging" at all times. So she will shuffle the ground, the air, the wall, her sister... etc. But she is trying her best in forage mode.

She has some vision concerns but she can see. She also sleeps more often than the other quail but I have noticed this is just her normal. She has always slept more often since hatching.

And here is Peeps with her gorgeous egg. It may serve to give a hint as to why she is albino because she may be a double silver not an english white.

She is a total diva. She just sits, let's her feet dangle and says "twee?" if you pick her up. Peeps loves hanging out snuggling or being scratched on the neck.

We adore Peeps the resident DIVA.

Liv.

Attachments

• 20210530_144420.jpg
    20210530_144420.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210530_144024.jpg
    20210530_144024.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210530_143658.jpg
    20210530_143658.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 33
Looking at her I’m guessing she’s double silver. My double silvers have, not quite pink, more like dark purply eyes. Seeing her legs, they look kind of thin and small for her frame, which is also a trait of double silvers. The delayed development and whispier feathers also gives clues to her being double silver. Is she generally pretty small, yet kind of big in the chest area?

Just a word of advice, my visually challenged birds do not grind their beaks down and I have to trim and dremel them, there’s a definite trick to it, just like shoeing horses, reading up on parrot beak grooming can help you. If it overgrows, she can begin to chip and cross beak a bit, so just keep an eye on it. My 2 original double silver males were 100% blind from hatch, the female started out being able to see, but not so well, but she went fully blind before she was 3 months or so.

Looking at her I’m guessing she’s double silver. My double silvers have, not quite pink, more like dark purply eyes. Seeing her legs, they look kind of thin and small for her frame, which is also a trait of double silvers. The delayed development and whispier feathers also gives clues to her being double silver. Is she generally pretty small, yet kind of big in the chest area?

Just a word of advice, my visually challenged birds do not grind their beaks down and I have to trim and dremel them, there’s a definite trick to it, just like shoeing horses, reading up on parrot beak grooming can help you. If it overgrows, she can begin to chip and cross beak a bit, so just keep an eye on it. My 2 original double silver males were 100% blind from hatch, the female started out being able to see, but not so well, but she went fully blind before she was 3 months or so.
Thank you for this info and advice! :)

She is in between my two smallest and two biggest quail for size. I will look at their legs but didn't notice hers being any different yet. I will also watch her beak; great to know to keep an eye on it! I have to care for my alpaca and sheep feet so I will watch some videos for trimming. I will look at her eyes again. They are red but maybe their is some purple. I have been keeping her out of the sun as much as possible to try and help her keep her sight and also not burn.

I like the most because she is so chill but really it is because she is clueless. Hahaha! Peeps :p

Thank you for this info and advice! :)

She is in between my two smallest and two biggest quail for size. I will look at their legs but didn't notice hers being any different yet. I will also watch her beak; great to know to keep an eye on it! I have to care for my alpaca and sheep feet so I will watch some videos for trimming. I will look at her eyes again. They are red but maybe their is some purple. I have been keeping her out of the sun as much as possible to try and help her keep her sight and also not burn.

I like the most because she is so chill but really it is because she is clueless. Hahaha! Peeps :p
My blind ones are very relaxed because they can’t see the hand coming to get them lol. I had an actual albino hatch, and the eyes were bright bright pink / red. But it died pretty early on. There was a noticeable difference in the albino and the double silver eyes, like the difference in ruby eyed white and pink eyed white.

Back
Top Bottom