UPDATE Please help-first time hatcher and newborn chick question

ELRclover

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
So, one of our egg chicks started pecking through it's shell. It sat there like that for 24 hours, so my husband helped it. It's very tired it seems. My husband helped it last night and this morning, it's still laying there on it's side. It's pecking and everything, cheeping...but isn't up and walking. Sometime in the middle of the night, another hatched and is walking about in the incubator....

SO is that other chick just tired, or will it die? We already told our daughter it probably will die, but not sure.

By the way, it's from a silkie egg- but it's either mixed with a leghorn or a easter egger. The chick was pretty big for it's egg.

We put water in with them this morning. I'm going to go get chick food since we didn't expect them to hatch so soon.

Any other pointers? These were eggs are mother silkies laid on, but then left when the weather got warmer, so we took them inside since they were all started inside.

THanks!

The chick died poor thing

Last edited:

melissaowens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
andalusia alabama
sometimes it takes them a lil while to recoop from the hatching process. Some chicks hatch and are up runnin around in no time, but there are some that takes a lil more time to re-energize. i hope everything turns out alright
fl.gif

CorralitosSunflower

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Corralitos
It may have something to do with helping it hatch. Sometimes my eggs have take two days after the initial pip before they actually hatched so this baby may not have been ready to come out yet. The best you can do is let it rest and cross your fingers! Do you have any more eggs due to hatch or just the two?

ELRclover

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
THere's 15 other eggs there, but so far, no signs of hatching. We figured the one would hatch because it was peeping last night, but no other eggs are peeping yet. The one that is walking around seems confused, by this one... It chirps, but keeps laying on it's belly or back with it's head flopped... it's horrible to watch and listen to it! I have a handicapped son, and it's almost worse than helping him lol... sounds weird I know... but I just wish I could help the poor thing.

Top Bottom