UPDATE....Please help save... turkey odd butt??

daproper

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Michigan
This is our first attempt at turkeys but we have several chickens. This one is 2 1/2 weeks old turkey and is having some butt issues... Any ideas why or what to do??? We cleaned it off and "she" did poop okay. We've separated her from the rest for the time being because the others are picking at it.

Also, any clue if it's a hen or roo??

54123_img_1759.jpg

54123_img_1760.jpg

54123_img_1761.jpg

Last edited:
Um. I have no idea.

but I KNEW better than to click on the link...and I did it anyway.

Oh well, maybe someone else will know. Good luck!

Well first off I have to compiment you on posting a nice clear picture of "the problem". LOL I would keep it seperate to at least let it heal up from the pecking. It may never get better though. I've had a chicken or two like that before. It just doesn't work like it's supposed to and they always had a nasty rear end. You may want to think of culling it.

every chick ive had like that has died or been culled after i tried to fix the first couple. If you do try to keep it, it needs to be separated until COMPLETELY healed, or the other birds will peck the open area until it dies.

She is trying to poop but nothing but air is coming out. A local at the feed store says it sounds like egg bound but she's way too young for egg issues at 3 weeks old. Tried a warm water enema and a warm water bath/soak. So far she's produced nothing but she keeps trying. Any ideas??? I think she's blocked inside but I don't know what to do to unblock her.

Thanks

Slowly push a couple of CC's of warm water up there and give her an enema. Also, you can lube up the inside of her vent with a Q-tip and some vasoline. Do a search on BYC for pasty butt.

Back
Top Bottom