UPDATE!!! Please Help! Twisting backward neck....URGENT!!!! PLEASE!!

zowieyellowflame

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Nova Scotia
Hello, I have a barred rock pullet that twists its head back and to the right. I've done a bit of research, read about newcastle but there is no respiratory problems in the flock at all. I have the twisted neck one in my kitchen. Please help right away! Does not seem to be in any pain. Crop seemed a bit small and hard and during that time the chicken frequently would almost seem to "convulse" into this twisted position. Maybe it is crop related. It does not want water but it ate an entire cooked egg and half a teaspoon of yogurt. The symptoms have decreased but still, she is roosting on the "wall" of the hospital with her head slightly to the right.
Aside from this symptom, everything else seems normal. I have 19 chickens in this coop, i think this one was fine all day, maybe dust bathing. possible it has disaligned itself? I am a chiropractor believer for myself, but I cant really take a chicken there. is there something i could do? it seems very stressed (before) but not sick. Now she is sleeping, roosting on the edge of the box, her head slightly to the right.

THIS MORNING she seems quite better. She is able to move her head around and she is eating more egg and yogurt. She is not wheezy, has no discharge. The only strange thing is that sometimes she has her beak open a bit, and appears to slightly pant. She stretches her neck and does that yawn thing. All night her stool was solid, this morning she had 2 that were runny. Her crop mostly emptied over night but it seems hard and fibrous, about the size of a cherry tomato. She does not want water. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Crook neck, wry neck, limber neck, stargazing. Lots of names for the symptom, that can be caused by a number of things ranging from brain trauma to botulism or fungal poisoning to encephalitis to nutritional deficiency (typically too low vitamin E and selenium).

Treat symptomitacally: give vitamins, particularly vitamin E capsules that also contain selenium (giving selenium by itself is too easy to give at toxic levels) and/or polyvisol or a good poultry vitamin. Metacam or prednisone for brain swelling.

Confine to a small area where the bird cannot further injure itself, and can be easily treated.

I have a Buff Orpington doing exactly the same thing. I did what you did. Put her in the "hospital" and keeping an eye on her. Let you know if I come up with anything.

In wry neck, does the chicken kind of convulse, or it is almost like something is pulling her head down and she is pulling it up...... her head goes down, turns 180 upside down and then she seems to try to pull it up again, still a bit sideways and then it continues. she seems to be in pain, we are going to put her down very soon unless someone has something to say.
If it is wry neck, will the vitamins give a full recovery? I don't have any vitamin e here, sadly. I live in a pretty remote location. I maybe would have brought some home from work but i thought she was getting better, now we are back where we started.

I am going to drive to town to get some vitamin e with selenium and polyvisol. It should take an hr or so, in the meantime, any tips on anything else? massage? last night when it had this attack, i rubbed her neck and gently bent it and it seemed to fix it in a matter of minutes.

It does sound like a vitamin deficiency. I've successfully treated by giving Poly-Vi-Sol drops and a Vitamin E gel cap. Cut the tip off the cap and squeeze out the goop for her to eat. Give her three drops of Poly-Vi-Sol two to three times a day or fill a small shallow dish, like a jar lid, with water and add a dropperful of the liquid vitamins. Also feed scrambled egg and diced up spinach for extra nutrients. Yes, she can make a full recovery but don't stop with the vitamins as soon as you see her doing better. Continue for at least a week after.

Back
Top Bottom