Update-Polish baby appears to be expeling her intestines- She's gone.

Is there any chance this isn't part of her? Is there anything that could look this serious but not kill her?

Is there any hope? At all?

I would put her to sleep. It does look like her intestines.

hugs.gif

I had my daughters soundly reject the idea of the freezer, and as she was so alert and vigorous, I couldn't think it would be easy on her, so I looked closely at the other euthanasia method, CO2, and it was most peaceful seeming way I could manage. I'm just not able to do anything, really- too soft, I guess.

I did find that my neighbor had a 1 gallon jar, and he came to help- hubby was at work. It was quick and fairly easy, but I'm still broken-hearted. I guess I need to remember it can't all be fun and easy. It has been so far. I will hug all of my big chooks extra well tonight.

Thanks for all of you talking sense into me. I would've let her die slowly and in pain for all of my helplessness.

Now I will drink lots of wine.

sorry about your chick.
sad.png
..at least she came to you and not somewhere where they would have let her suffer...thanks for helping her pass on peacefully..
hugs.gif

ooo, glad to know about the baking soda and vinegar trick, I cant believe i have never thought of that (not that i am ever really faced with the need to cull a chick...)

what a rough day!

You said it, AmosUnknown! Really rough day!

I'm crying just acknowledging that!

I don't ever want that again! Sadly, I know that if I'm convicted to take the sad plants, buy the sick chicks, etc, then it will happen. A lot more than if I avoided it, anyway.

Like I told my daughters, this chick looked great, and the one we KNEW was sick is doing fantastic. It's not our plan, nor control, and God sent this one home with us so it didn't die a sad, slow, painful death alone at a feed store getting attacked by other chicks.

*sigh* SO- the girls and I had Daddy dig a hole in the garden, and we buried her and prayed for her. I'm trying to stop crying, but I keep starting again...you'd never guess I'm not a wuss in an emergency! I'm really the one you want if you get into a car wreck and need help. Animals are different, somehow.

I thank you all for your help, and if I find that there's a term for this condition or the cause I'll share it with everyone.

Thanks again.

**edited because I'm a grammar nazi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom