Update! Prolapsed Vent or something else??? The Saga Continues . . .

Maureen&chickens

Songster
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Townsend
This morning my 8 month old GLW wasn't eating and was squatting in the nest box. My DD picked her up and brought her in. Her vent is red, swollen and has a whitish piece hanging out. I've tried to research thinking prolapsed vent but no one else seems to have the whitish piece Don't want to try pushing anything in until I know what I'm dealing with. She's in the crate in my mudroom and we've given her a bath to clean her up some. Hopefully these pictures will help and someone will be able to tell me what to do. Thank you in advance for your help.

37573_100_3695.jpg

37573_100_3698.jpg

Last edited:
I would think that is a soft egg shell... I, personally, would give a soft tug on it and see what happens...

Last edited:
I would put her in some warm water, someplace with good light where I would be able to access the vent area easily. I would then give it a little pull, see if it will come out, and if it does, what comes out with it.

If stuck, it could be attached to an egg... I would feel her abdomin below her ribs to see if I could feel anything... I might be inclined to oil my finger, and reluctantly enter her vent to see what I could feel...not far, but see if you feel an egg. If there is a normal egg, I would put her someplace warm and quiet and see if she pushes it out on her own. Keep a close eye on her, give food and water. If after a while, nothing, get back on BYC and get additional information.

Last edited:
I would give a 20 minute warm soak,and then gently tug at that thing hanging out while still in the warm water.Then give her a few days inside to heal up. I would not forcibly remove it if it isn't coming out easy.

Thank you!! I gave a soft tug and on the second try it came out with a squish of whitish liquid. It pulled the red part out a lot more but once the white came loose thankfully the rest mostly retracted back in. It does look like a soft shell I think.

37573_100_3701.jpg

Is there anything else I should watch for or do?

You have gotten good info it seems, I would just keep her inside a couple more days to make sure vent area is healed, and to ensure her next egg comes out okay.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom