Update: sad :( HELP!!!! What do I do with my pregnant Rabbit?? (pics)

OK..............so I went out to check on Bun and saw some fur.......Then I went out a few minutes ago and she was getting really antsy in her cage..... I let her out and she went staight for some hay on the ground.....she picked it up and went back to her cage, then repeated this several times. Once that was gone she started to pick the grass and carry it back....

I know this is a sign of nesting but my question is if its ok for her to use grass? It's a stupid question I know
hide.gif
but I'm not sure if grass will be ok for a nest.
idunno.gif
She also has some fur and hay? I think it will be ok 'cause thats what they would use in the wild but it's good to have a second opinion?

Also should I allow her to stay out for awhile and pick grass? If I put hay in her nest box she throws it out
hu.gif

Thanks in advance for all the advice
frow.gif

Edit: Spelling/Grammer

Last edited:
Hope everything goes ok with the bunny!
I had a rabbit a good few years back - had two actually as I had one when I was a kid ( Big dutch white called Suzi Q) So anyhow I got one for our kids when they were wee too! It was a lovely little thing. It was black and white not sure what breed it was. The fellow in the pet store swore it was a boy - so I brought it home and called it Bugs. The reason why I am telling you this is because actually He was not nice at all and it was all a lie in the pet store! He was actually a very vicious bunny that you couldn;t hold because it would go wild and attack you. Then HE turned out to be a she as one day we went into the hutch and there in the nest were 5 babies! SHE WAS DEFFINATELY FEMALE! So we discovered why she was so aggressive she didn;t want lifted while pregnant. The babies were fine. All she had was straw and her own fur she plucked out.
Once we knew there were babies we just didn;t disturb her and left loads of food and water. ( it is important that you don;t poke at the new babies cause the mom may reject them and Rabits like chickens will kill their young also if you disturb the nest while they are little and have no fur they may get cold. so best to ignor them for a few weeks) Our bunny babies grew no trouble but we did give them back to the pet store when they were 6 weeks old ( they can breed from a very young age and are difficult to sex). Anyhow our Bugs became Bugsly and after her babies she settled down to be a really lovely bidable little pet. Which was a total change of charactor!

I didn;t know what to do but SHE did. Despite her changing homes and all the upset and the kids wanting to lift her and all the rest of it she still managed to make herself a nest and have live babies. Let nature take its course and stop worrying!!!!!!!!!! SHE will make her nest the way she wants with what she wants. I can;t see grass being a problem as Rabits in the wild use it? Try to give her the dry cuttings from the lawn mower though rather than damp grass. - Good luck!

Oesdog
lol.png

Quote:
Mean bunnies are a product of not handling them from day 2 forward. All our kits are handled as much as possible so they are acclimated to humans very early on. The kits are now 7 weeks old and practically jump over each other to get to one of us.

Oh No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's day 36........
hit.gif

She only seemed to have 1 enormously large, still born, baby.
s/he didn't look harmed so I don't think it was mama.
My mom was surprised there was only one,but it was huge and Bun's first litter so isn't this pretty typical?
Just thought I should let you know.... I am thinking of trying again in a couple weeks. Do you think thats ok or should I stop?
idunno.gif

Thanks again for all the tips and support!!
big_smile.png

Edit: On a happy note.... I did just get a new baby bun. Not out of sadness ( I don't think
hide.gif
) I've just wanted to have this breed/color for awhile and saw one at the local CO-OP.....Anyway I would be much greatful if you checked her out and gave advice
tongue.png
New Baby!!!! Tips and Tricks.....PIC Heavy!!

Last edited:
Quote:
u can try again in about 2-3 weeks. what your baby was was a fetal giant. it happens. next time should go good!

I have had this happen multiple times with my first timers, never had a problem afterwords either. Seems like if you can get past that first litter things go better.
Sorry, Hopefully next time it will go better.

Back
Top Bottom