Update: she passed away

Cinderblock

Chirping
Mar 7, 2020
I don’t know how to delete this because the post is no longer relevant. Thanks!

We have 7 chicks about a week 1/2 old being cared for by 4 mothers coparenting. It’s been going fine. Today I came home to an injured chick that I assume was attacked by the mothers. I didn’t see it and I didn’t find her, my son did and he didn’t see anything. No other chickens or pets were in there with them. She is bleeding on both wings on her back and has a large wound on her abdomen. She is weak and seems to be fading. We put her in a soft, warm box and I sprayed some of the spray for injuries on her wounds and added electrolytes to her water. She is struggling to stay sitting up and I imagine she will probably not make it. Is there anything else I should do? What about the safety of the other babies? I don’t understand why the chickens would do that. They have been good mothers.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your chick.

The first thing you're going to want to do is move her to a quiet, warm (85F Watch for overheating), stressful free, safe area, and then move the other chicks to a safe area away from the hens(Near the other chick would be good) Area's that are still bleeding should have pressure applied to them using a warm/damp cloth.

If this were my chick I would personally would do little trimming, lavaging, nor would I apply any antibiotic ointment to the feathers right now, as it would likely affect the thermoregulatory properties of the feathers, that last thing this chick needs to be is cold.

I would probably just dap a little bit of the Poultry spray onto the wounds (Just onto the wounds). The next few hours will give us some pointers on how her prognosis might be.

Edit, keep temp around 85/90F

Last edited:

The first thing you're going to want to do is move her to a quiet, warm (85F Watch for overheating), stressful free, safe area, and then move the other chicks to a safe area away from the hens(Near the other chick would be good) Area's that are still bleeding should have pressure applied to them using a warm/damp cloth.

If this were my chick I would personally would do little trimming, lavaging, nor would I apply any antibiotic ointment to the feathers right now, as it would likely affect the thermoregulatory properties of the feathers, that last thing this chick needs to be is cold.

I would probably just dap a little bit of the Poultry spray onto the wounds (Just onto the wounds). The next few hours will give us some pointers on how her prognosis might be.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom