Update: She passed. My spitzhaben pullet is making wierd noises?

Fat Bottom Farm

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 1, 2010
West of There, East of Here
I have 2 silver spangled spitzhaben pullets about 7 weeks old and I noticed this evening that one is making a wierd chirp. Not really a chirp more like a high pitched wheeze. She doesn't seem to be ill, eating and drinking water, moving around the coop no issues. Just this strange chirp, she doesn't sound like the other chicks...cheep cheep cheep... more like eeek wheeze wheeze... I am in the health care field and would recommend a breathing treatment if a human sounded like her.

Is this a normal sound for this breed? My guineas are starting to do their "buckwheat...buckwheat"; could she be imitating them?

Below is a picture of her:

56097_picture_295.jpg

Smiles,
Lanora

Last edited:
Go to youtube and search for baby rooster crowing. There are several on there, and some sound totally silly, nothing at all like a traditional crow. I am new to chickens, have never owned a rooster, but when I went shopping for my chicks, I heard a baby rooster trying to crow. It sounded quite ridiculous.

She was suppose to be a pullet, that is what I purchased. But it is never 100%. Will never know for sure because I found her dead in the coop this morning. I kind of knew this would happen, she just didn't sound right and the hotter it got the more she would breathe with her mouth open. It was like her airsacs couldn't support her growth.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Back
Top Bottom