Update-Temp. drop overnight

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by coffeemama, Mar 15, 2008.

1. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I know I've seen reassurance posts about this before, but now I can't find them. I just put my eggs in yesterday afternoon-wiggler temp was 100.3. At 11pm last night it was 100.2 (which is not odd in my LG-temps flux a tiny bit). This morning a 6:30, temp. was 92.4 [​IMG] .
    Are my little eggies ok? I had the bator going for 5 days before I got them, and had everything going jut fine-no huge drops like that in the a.m.

updated 3:40pm
    [​IMG] I cannot for the life of me keep my temps. steady. I have a still air, and have been using the 2x4 outside of the bator method for turning so that I don't have to open the lid. I notice that the temps on the side that is up are too warm (hot air rises, I know), and the temps on the bottom side are too cool. This is why my therm read so low this morning-the digi therm was on the lower side. Should I just risk it and open the lid for turning? I don't know what to do-I feel like [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    in one day my temp has been anywhere from 90 to 108.... [​IMG]

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Did you have a good hatch, or are you still waiting?

4. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    im waiting...BUT

the first egg (a test egg) i put in there i cracked open yesterday and everything was developing right and take into consideration... the temp goes EVERYWHERE and that egg was ok. I just keep the humidity pretty high for the duck eggs...i know im bad

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Well, I got the temp. back up-I'm just not sure what happened to it. I had my dh "turn" the eggs last night, and maybe he bumped the temp. switch. He says he didn't, but he was very sleepy when he did it, so? Now I feel like I need to get up a few times in the middle of the night to check!

6. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    best not to readjust for the first 48 hours and it'll get back up on its own; if you have adjusted up, then be mindful that tomorrow you may wake to find it too high!

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Well I did adjust it up, because I was taking into consideration that my dh may have bumped the knob last night. It is at 100.0 now (wiggler), and I'm watching it. [​IMG]

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Updated above-I'm wondering if the method that lifts the eggs is no good in the still air. I switched the 2x4 to the inside, so I directly lifting carton ends, but the temp at the top of the bator is not the temp I am taking at the "egg heigth". I really can't see turning 23 eggs by hand while laying on the bottom-just seems like it would take too long with the lid open. Someone help-I'm going nuts over here!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by