UPDATE to LOST POWER in BATOR, now WHAT?!!!

ADozenGirlz

The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Connecticut
My eggs had been in the 'bator for 11 days and all 5 eggs were growing beautifully when the power went out yesterday (car accident cut the utility pole in half in front of our house. See photo below). I think the power was out for a total of an hour before I could get the incubator to my neighbor's house (he has a generator!). When he plugged it back in, the temp was 79 degrees. Anyone have any experience with power loss at this stage of development? Is there anything I should be looking for in candeling the eggs or will it just be a question of waiting untilt they hatch (or not)? Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
Just keep trying to get the temperature up and stabilized. I've heard they can go without a running incubator for a half hour and be perfectly fine. If it only went down to 79, the eggs should have a slightly higher internal temperature. It might delay the hatch a little bit, but its much better than a heat spike.
big_smile.png

OOPS - I didn;t read the whole post. You should be fine if it was only for a little while. Remember that chickens get off their clutches for food and water at times.

Last edited:
Keep the faith up! The air may have registered that cool but their egg temp is warmer.....

Praying for a successful hatch for you and glad no one was injured in that crash

They should be fine if it was only an hour, if you think that is bad I've lost power for 3 days while I had my incubator going and had a 0% hatch rate because of it. That when I decided to buy some bantams lol.

The bulb burned out on me twice during my last batch of eggs and both times the temp went down in the 70's. They still hatched. I was told to worry more if the temp gets to high.

Good news to report: All FIVE EE/BR eggs HATCHED despite the power loss! WHEW! AND, they hatched on day 20 nonetheless! Here's a picture of two of the newest flock members, Laverne & Shirley:

43104_3-5-10_the_blue_sky5_10.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom