*Update - Unsuccessful Spay. Anyone have experience with Suprelorin implant and/or spay? Egg yolk pe

This is the best ever thread. Thank you all for your posts. I felt like I was all alone with my dear little ones with egg stuck never came out even with massive vet intervention and egg perontitis with vet intervention with failure. So thank you again. BTW it took quite awhile for all the girls to use the nipple waterer but they do now for most of them.

So sorry to hear about Honeybun...poor girl. My eyes teared up as I was reading her (your) story
hit.gif

I lost my Mille Fleur D'Uccle hen (Sylvia) that was sick. She died Saturday afternoon around 4:30. I don't know for sure if it was related to egg laying as upon thorough inspection, she had multiple growths under and close to her beak. They looked like small tumors. Not sure if they were internal as well which would have limited her ability to eat. I did bring her to the vet. She was very weak. I should have put her down while I was there. She died within a few hours of returning home.

The vet verified what I had said - no abdominal swelling, clear eyes, good breathing, very thin - 1.5lbs. He wanted an update today and was hoping that she would be doing better. I have to call him and give him the news.

I find that having a bottle of Cal-Nate and administering a dose weekly has greatly improved Ellie's health. She laid her latest egg last night. The shell was normal.

Since there are so many BYC subscribers who ARE having this problem, it is my belief that the "layer feed" is deficient of the proper balance of calcium. Although it is recommended that oyster shell be given, many will not touch it. So... the idea of administering liquid calcium 1x/week seems like good preventive medicine.

Try the Cal-Nate (23%) liquid. I administer .2ml 1x/weekly to my 1.1lb bantam hen Ellie. She has been doing well since! The dose would have to be adjusted depending on the hen's weight but it works great!
This is the best ever thread. Thank you all for your posts. I felt like I was all alone with my dear little ones with egg stuck never came out even with massive vet intervention and egg perontitis with vet intervention with failure. So thank you again. BTW it took quite awhile for all the girls to use the nipple waterer but they do now for most of them.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear of Sylvia's death. It's so hard to lose them.
sad.png

Quote: Where do you get this? I find data sheets, etc. and lots of injectable 10% solutions, but I'm not finding it to buy in a 23% oral solution. Do you have a brand name or a picture of the bottle? It's definitely something I would like to try with Sweetpea.

Although Ellie had received injections in the past, I was told that the oral solution was a much safer option. Cost 13.95/bottle. It was actually dispensed by the veterinary clinic with a prescription type label. I am sure that any avian vet could prepare this for you. The oral amount that is dispensed is actually so small that the bottle should last a year or more.

I've been doing lots of reading and one of my hens got the Suprelorin implant but the third time it didn't have any effect on her - she's been laying eggs. I followed the thread and you mentioned about Cal-Nate 23% to administer to your hen 1 time per week. Can I ask how long have you been giving this to her? Has she laid better eggs (good shell)? My hen has a history of laying very thin shell, and no shell egg but given the implant's failure to stop her from laying, I'm now having to see how I can better assist her with absorbing the calcium. She does eat some oyster shell, but I'm resolved to think that her body doesn't process the calcium well.

Thank you for your help!

Ellie has been given Cal-Nate since May. In addition to Cal-Nate, other measures need to be taken to ensure that her body can absorb the calcium. This includes access to sunlight or full spectrum lighting and a vitamin D supplement. Ellie's eggs shells have been normal in terms of hardness and she continues to lay sporadically. One week she may lay 3 eggs, and the next week, none. Since Ellie is a indoor hen and very small (1.18lbs), the full spectrum lighting in combination with "Rooster Booster" supplement seems to have helped.

Thank you for your response! If, and whenever you have a chance, can you take a picture of your full spectrum lighting so I know what to look for? My hens are also indoor (about 8 hours/ day, except weekend). I do let them roam around for about 1 hour on weekdays and a few more on weekend. I think that it isn't enough natural lighting for them.... Where do you get the Vit. D supplement?

The supplement I use is added to the drinking water. "Rooster Booster" - purchased at Tractor Supply.
The lighting fixture (24") is the plug in type (not hard wired) and purchased at Lowe's - very cheap. Maybe 9.00/fixture. There is an o//off switch right on the fixture. I bought 2. Easy install! Just mount the 2 screws (included) and slide the light fixture into place. Take out the bulb that is included and replace with a full spectrum aquarium light. Hope this helps! I will post pictures soon!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom