UPDATE: *with pics* The Bathing Experiment - Dirt or Sand?

Cool! I'm going to do this as well for my girls. Thanks for the tip!
thumbsup.gif

Glad to hear that there is an answer from the chicken world. I do believe I will be adding more dirt to the run. I know that means mud at times but mine have totally ignored the sand too. I had filled a kiddie pool with it and so far they have only walked across it if I was tempting them with treats.

I love experiments. Thank you for doing one.

Quote:
Thanks so much, ChickMom.

Now, I'm wanting to get all scientific-y and put out all 3 and see what they go for.

I'll report back.

Science! Hey....this might make a great experiment for my son's 4th grade science fair.
big_smile.png

thumbsup.gif

Mine seem to prefer to find one of the few patches of healthy nice lush grass in the yard, dig that up and turn it into a hole then bathe in that. My husband is not amused.

Maybe I'll try putting out some peat moss. Very cool experiment.

My chicklets (I think they are 5 weeks old now) just moved to their outdoor coop today and it includes a big bin of peat moss for dust baths. One of the white chicks--the one who first discovered dust bathing and pursues it with the greatest enthusiasm--got herself so dug in she looked like the brown one. She loved it, and a couple of the others got in the act too. She must have done a pretty good job of shaking out, because she looked great when I went back to check on them later. Great volume. Maybe those of us with thin and limp hair ought to give peat moss a try.
wink.png

Quote:
This is a good reliable mix I found in an old Harrowsmith magazine I saved years ago.
Except it specifies wood ash. I read elsewhere that wood ash aka: charcoal, is also good fighting internal parasites as well as the external ones.

There are several postings with photos, on this website showing hens having a great time dust bathing in mulch.
So the use of peat moss is intriguing-I may add that to the mix.

Back
Top Bottom