(UPDATED) Buff Orp can't stand up- is if Marek's or other!!

Thank you. Yes, I've been doing hours of research on it and I'm just not 100% certain that's what it is. It's so frustrating. She Isn't doing the "split" thing like you typically see photos of for Marek's. She just can't stand up, one leg is defintely weaker than the other though I see no sign of injury. When she lies down, she goes forward onto her breastbone (her back end is high) and lets her wings droop to the ground. I've seen broodies sit like this so maybe that's OK, not unusual? (I've never seen her, or another big fat Buff Orp) lying down so I don't know if it's weird or not.

She doesn't seem to eat or drink on her own but will eat from my fingers.

In the cage next to her is my recovering hawk-attacked hen, and they are talking to each other in the STRANGEST noises! little low cooing- growly noises, like a mama hen talks to her chicks with. The other hen does it more, and Helga sometimes responds. What's that all about, do you think?

they are saying we are in so much trouble, first cage, then a pot!

try giving her some vitamin B12 and vit. E in her food, if it's not Marke's, it may be due to a vit. defficiency. it what was wrong with my hens, after a week of vitamins in their food they got better, walking just fine now and back with the flock

Thanks. It seems strange that just one would have a vitamin deficiency though, doesn't it? but I will try it! She is only eating what I hand feed her so it would be easy to add to her daily scrambled egg and mash. How much do you add???

Hi all-
Just wanted to update you, in case anyone else is researching a similar issue.
We kept our hen inside for a week or so. She could not stand for more than a few seconds for many days (hand-feeding/watering her). Then she seemed to begin getting a bit better. Her appetite was still not back entirely but I felt we'd done basically all we could do. I was convinced it was Mareks and that there was really no hope. Even after she started being able to stand for longer periods, I thought it was that thing I'd read about with Marek's, where the paralysis gets better but then they die soon anyway.
However, it has been about 6 weeks now and she seems perfectly fine and normal. I am hoping that means it's not Marek's (which she WAS vaccinated against) but just that she'd injured herself and has healed. Hopefully I have no jinxed it by posting this!
Stacey

yay!
hugs.gif

I have had a chicken who can't walk for about 2 months now, but she's going downhill... I hope your chicken gets better! Give her lots of vitamins

Back
Top Bottom