[UPDATED] CHICK PEEPING AT DAY 13 (yes, really!)

Query for anyone out there: I can't get my humidity down in the incubator. Was hoping to give the eggs some nice dry days to help correct for keeping the humidity high for the last few. I live in a very humid climate down south and it's pouring down rain, there's no water in any of the trays and yet I have 60% humidity. The air cells look ok when candled but what do I really know :confused:

Also: any tips to tell if these last two early bird orpington eggs are behind the others or just duds? I candled but they are solid darkness and air cell, it's impossible to tell what's up inside.

If it looks solid black they should still be good. Dead embryos sink towards the narrow end of the egg and there will be a watery gap between the air cell and the embryo.

I just candled and am extremely sad to say the most important egg in here, which was from a Cemani hen that went intersex after a major illness, smells off and appears to be sunken at the bottom. My irritation with the woman who sold me the early birds has multiplied :/ I don't want to remove it if there's any chance I'm wrong but I assume there is zero reason for this egg to smell except that it is decomposing.

I just candled and am extremely sad to say the most important egg in here, which was from a Cemani hen that went intersex after a major illness, smells off and appears to be sunken at the bottom. My irritation with the woman who sold me the early birds has multiplied :/ I don't want to remove it if there's any chance I'm wrong but I assume there is zero reason for this egg to smell except that it is decomposing.
Smelling bad always means bad things. You DON'T want it exploding all over your incubator. Toss it.

Tossed. The chick was almost there, less than a week to go. But definitely smelled terrible. I am so bummed. I hope for a normal remainder of this frankenhatch!! What was I thinking setting eggs during mercury retrograde amirite :D

I am beyond confused.
1.) Did you not know you purchased started eggs?
2.) why did you not candle said eggs after purchase? (Check air cell, egg shell deformities and look for cracks) you would have noticed a 7-8 day old embryo.
3.) If eggs were super dirty why did you set them? I try to set clean eggs but sometimes there is a poop smudge.

I feel that the chicks were effected by the assistance. You mentioned veins and blood, both signs that they were clearly not ready.

I have only assisted a few times and that was due to a dry membrane on expensive eggs.

I’m sorry you lost some of your chicks, it’s always heartbreaking.

Not sure what's confusing?

Looking back, I kept candling these lavender orpington eggs and they looked highly developed really early on, but I kept thinking well, maybe the shell is just super dark. Now thinking about it, I think the very nice but very country lady I got them from probably just had a few eggs beneath her hen and just scooped them up to give to me. I imagine the hen was setting the eggs already, and they were in the incubator within an hour, so they probably just continued to develop.

Of the eggs I bought from others, only this woman's lavender orpington eggs seemed dark / well developed the entire time.

I do think I exposed too much of the membrane

The eggs were pretty clean, some with a bit of poo but they do come out of a butt, after all

I went back and forth on whether or not I shouldn't or should have assisted and I think I probably would have done an eggtopsy and gotten the same news, so either way I learned some lessons.

I appreciate the condolences, it did suck and was a hard lesson but we all have to learn. Hoping for a smooth remainder of the hatch.

Last edited:
Don't fret. It happens to most people, especially first timers. I assisted and lost a few but also gained a few. Some died later on and some didn't. There is a lot more that goes into it than just putting the eggs in the incubator. Nutrition prior to laying can't be verified by you when you buy so really it's a gamble regardless. Some people forget what it's like to do a first hatch. It's very stressful- even after a handful of times. Broody hens are even stressful because they can just one day decide to quit midway through a hatch.

Back
Top Bottom