Updated.......First Egg!!!

dirtsaver

Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
Northern Kentucky
About eight or nine days ago I posted a question about a couple of our Buff Orps squating under my hand. The knowledgable folks here agreed that eggs were not far behind. Tonight as we were letting the girls out of their run for some backyard ranging one of them stayed behind in the coop. She seemed nervous and started up the ladder to the roosts but about halfway up she started making a lot of noise and tried to climb the wall. Next thing ya know there's an egg on the ladder.

51710_im000035.jpg

51710_im000036.jpg

The eggshell is soft and dented easily when I picked it up,but it's exciting to have the first. The hen(we can call her that now I think) seemed confused and scared for a while but after Eva brought her out with the rest of the girls she got over that and strutted around proudly!

Now.......the wait for the next one!

Larry

Got our second egg yesterday afternoon. We aren't sure if it's the same girl or not but the shell is much more solid and looks like a proper egg,although it's still small. Things are looking good!!!

Last edited:
Congrats to you!
wee.gif

I got my first egg 2 weeks ago tomorrow - - my SLW's are both laying now - and a mystery hen... as a new egg has been added and it is a bit

larger and no lil speckles on it - am thinking it might be my Australorp - they are 23 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom