*Updated pics* I Need ideas and advice for coop doors and windows please. We've converted a grapevin

... I'm working on a coop somewhat larger than yours, and it won't have any windows--natural light will come through 2 fixed skylights. It will also have two doors (in addition to the chicken door), for cleaning and access purposes.....
Without windows how will you get ventilation?

Looks like a nice sturdy build!! Very nice. I like the front eave area for ventilation. A few openings on the sides with hinged flap boards would be nice to move air on hot days. A window or windows to let in natural light on the front would be nice especially slider windows. It looks like you have a large access door on the back. Well done!

Ventilation will be provided by 3 screened intake vents in the end walls, with exhaust (hopefully) occurring in a central cupola on the roof's ridgeline. May put a wind turbine or small fan on/in the cupola if natural draw doesn't appear strong enough.

Initially I made them 2 chickens wide so one wouldn't block the doorway but lately I started making mine pretty small like about 18" high, 12" wide.

Is 10 x 13 way too small then? That's the size I just did on this new coop. I can still change it.

Looks like a nice sturdy build!!  Very nice.  I like the front eave area for ventilation.  A few openings on the sides with hinged flap boards would be nice to move air on hot days.  A window or windows to let in natural light on the front would be nice especially slider windows.   It looks like you have a large access door on the back.  Well done!

Thank you! I'm actually thinking about putting a double door in the center of the front wall of the coop, and a window on each side that will be made of Lexan and hardware cloth for screen. Im going to hinge them so they will open. The back wall is all siding, and I'm planning on attaching the roost on that wall to run the length of the coop.

I'm a novice, but I think you want at least one door and one window.  I'm working on a coop somewhat larger than yours, and it won't have any windows--natural light will come through 2 fixed skylights.  It will also have two doors (in addition to the chicken door), for cleaning and access purposes.  I plan to use threaded carabiners on all door latches, to keep raccoons from opening them and both nesting boxes--we have a few raccoons in the area, and I've seen how ambidextrous they can be when wanting to get to a food source.

Thanks for your advice. I think I've decided on a double door for easy coop access, and two windows for extra ventilation during the warmer months.

I need to post pictures of the underside of the roof because I'm worried that I have too much ventilation for the winter. I'll try to post those in the morning.

Should I put a vent above the nesting box, near the top of the wall, so that when the pop door is open the air can flow?

Is 10" wide x 13" tall too small for the pop door opening?

Should I put a vent above the nesting box, near the top of the wall, so that when the pop door is open the air can flow?

Is 10" wide x 13" tall too small for the pop door opening?
My pop doors are that size and they work very well even for the biggest of birds. Yes I would take a circular saw and cut a long slit up high if you can for added ventilation. It is real easy to cut an oversize board for the opening that is hinged from above. This way you can wire it open in the Summer heat and close it for storms or extreme cold if you wanted. It is really nice to have a lot vents with the option to open or close as needed.

One of my long vents. Nothing fancy... I can angle it open, wire it to full open or wire it closed.

One doesn't just need good ventilation in Summer. Winter is just as important if not more so.
My coops have big windows on East and West sides open year round, only shuttering the windward side in severe storms.
Chickens don't die from cold but they do die from bad air.
IMHO, if your unobstructed openings don't approach a sq. ft. per bird get out the saw.
Here's a couple under construction.

Last edited:
The entire perimeter of the coop roof is open. I'm going to put hardware cloth up there to keep preditors out. I was worried about too much air escaping up there in the winter? I still need to load pics of the underside of the roof.

Back
Top Bottom