1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Updating an old GQF 1402 cabinet incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WalnutHill, Sep 26, 2015.

1. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Not done reconditioning but reassembly started.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  2. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Left side of this model contains the turner pilot lamp and switch, and the hole for the water reservoir hose. Since I don't have a water reservoir (5 gallon bucket with fitting and hose) at this time, I purchased a 7/8" plastic plug from the hardware store. The yellow bushings are original, and serve as bezels for the indicator lamp and switch.

[​IMG]

Old paint vs. new. A simple facelift does wonders.

[​IMG]

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus w/crappy Inet Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    awesome, was reading this with hubs and we had an argument "flange vs bezel" just because he never heard of it called that! this goes back when we were setting up our fireplace and I said we need a bezel to go into the wall, he said what and basically called me stupid, this is years ago, anyway,.... you get the argument.... ha ha ha.....

4. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    You're both right...flange is the flat part that keeps the bushing from sliding through the hole, so the item would be a "flanged bushing" but its purpose in this case is for use as a bezel. [​IMG]

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG] woman ALWAYS right come on!

6. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Starting chassis reassembly and wiring repair. I am upgrading to the new multiturn electronic thermostat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I added a self-adhesive plastic harness clamp to the fan shroud to help keep wires from going astray. I'll do the same on the other side once I refinish the final panel.

I'll take a hardware run tomorrow and pick up a set of casters. The door rides so close to the floor that it's a pain, casters will help immensely. I will also drill a hole through the fan baffle and run a receptacle end from a two wire extension cord for fitting LED lights at a later date.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    keep it up and you will be running by next weekend walnut!

8. stryker

stryker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2014
    That is a great incubator. Or atleast it looks better after you got a hold of it. Is that the incubator that uses the 250 watt heat coils?

9. WalnutHill

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Yes, for now I am retaining the 250 watt resistance wire coil. It's an inexpensive and reliable way to go, most issues occur when people don't replace them periodically. The metal fatigues over time, causing the element to break and short out.

This older model does not have a fuse to protect against short circuit, which is why this incubator had suffered burns. I should add a fused input for safety.

Turner motor rated 0.48A
    Clock motor rated 3W
    Fan motor rated 0.25A
    Element 250W

[email protected]

10. stryker

stryker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2014
    Does a surge protector do the same thing as an inline fuse or is that all different?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by