Updating old coop

If the chicken wire is in good shape, you can attach it to the wood using 3/4" Poultry Staples. You can find them at any home center, Home Depo, Lowes, etc... I think you can make this into a nice little coop. Just take your time and plug all the holes. If you have power close by, you can put an electric fence/hot wire on the structure. That will solve a lot of predator problems. You can find what you need for that at your local farm store, and I am sure they will help you with advice about installing it. It is not difficult. It looks like all your door needs is a cross brace to bring it back into square. If you add the partial piece of plywood you can do the same thing. Try and make it fun.

Your coop has character and character is very hard to duplicate....the crocked door is perfect!!!! The thick pieces of boards for siding, a bit of sun light peeking in, I like it and your chickens will love it.
HappyHatch'en

If the door won't close because it is sagging as opposed to not built the right size, you can correct the sag by putting in a diagonal member. The diagonal has to be in tight. In theory, a sheet of plywood over the door would do the same thing, but plywood is thin and could warp itself, letting the door sag. You can also use wire and a turnbuckle to correct the sag.

Woodland woman is exactly right. The chicken wire will not stop raccoons, coyotes, dogs, foxes, bobcats and some others I cannot think of. Any hole big enough for a predator to get through should be covered with hardware cloth. I'd leave the chicken wire on the run but run welded wire on the bottom 4'. Dogs will be a good secondary defense but they are not the complete solution. Do you ever lock them up, kennel them, take them to the vet, wash them, anything where they are out of action? I'd beef up the run.

Do you plan to lock the chickens in the coop at night? If so, I'd beef up the run but make the coop Fort Knox. Most predator attacks are at night.

As to the floor, there are different options. Yoou can bury wire, wood, sheet metal, pour concrete or such vertically, or your can go horizontal. Firmly attach hardware cloth or welded wire (galvanized as a minimum, galvanized and painted will last longer) to the bottom of the coop or run, whichever you decide and bury it a couple of inches deep out for 18 to 24 inches. The theory is that the predator will start digging next to the fence or wall, hit the wire, and not know to back up. In my rocky soil, it is a lot easier to bury the wire 2" deep.

Or you can bury hardwire cloth or welded wire in the floor of the coop or put down a solid floor, plywood, planks, pour concrete, whatever. Make sure it is fairly smooth so you can clean the poop out easier. How well does the floor stay dry in a rain? If it gets wet, the easiest thing may be to put down the wire and cover it with a couple of inches of dirt, preferably a clay that will pack.

You are getting good advise from the others. Just treat mine as options and pick the ones out of all these that best meet your specific needs and conditions.

Happy Daylight Savings Time Day!!!

Last edited:
Glad to hear everyone thinks my coop is workable! I love the old structures! but my hubby is always wanting to tear things down and start from scratch. . .so now I have everyone on my side and can get to work!
tongue.gif

Everybody's advice has been extremely helpful, I really didn't know where to start before, but now can get to work!

Back
Top Bottom