Upgrading

fireflyhatchery

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
1549 Firefly Rd. Dundee IA 52038
I have decided that it is about time to do some upgrading on the farm to help out my duck flock of 16. These are East Indie ducks that I bought last year at about the same time and they have been doing ok but I know that they could be much happier. Right now they live in a medium size room of 12x8 and an outside run with a kiddie pool. I would like to make a small 1/2 acre to 1 acre pond but have no idea how to go about building it. I have plenty of room but wonder if a pond would be to much or if I should make a big run with 2 or 3 kiddie pools instead. Any advice would help thanks.

I have decided that it is about time to do some upgrading on the farm to help out my duck flock of 16. These are East Indie ducks that I bought last year at about the same time and they have been doing ok but I know that they could be much happier. Right now they live in a medium size room of 12x8 and an outside run with a kiddie pool. I would like to make a small 1/2 acre to 1 acre pond but have no idea how to go about building it. I have plenty of room but wonder if a pond would be to much or if I should make a big run with 2 or 3 kiddie pools instead. Any advice would help thanks.
Digging a pond can be quite costly unless you already have the equipment or plan on doing it by hand.. But that would be awfully nice for your 16 ducks. I have 16 ducks Muscovy and they have to share a large kiddy pool with 2 geese which means I am changing water every 2 days right now. which isn't so bad since I use the hose to syphon almost all the water out what's left just gets dumped then I just refill. So depending on how much money you want to invest and how easy it is going to be for upkeep of this pond, if it doesn't have fresh water it will probably become stagnant and pretty nasty for the ducks to be in after a while. I know other have built ponds for their waterfowl so hopefully you'll get more responses soon. your ducks are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom