Upper bill injury to my ancona duck

nurserunner7

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
I came home and found my duck Spot with a torn place on his upper bill on the right side (as I face my duck).
I cleaned it up but I want to know if I should apply an antibiotic to his bill.
I have seen him drink water and eat 3 of his greens.
However, he does seem to be in pain (I would expect this)
This is my first year with ducks, can anyone help me?
I know of no vet in this area that treats ducks or chickens.
Thank you so much!

I came home and found my duck Spot with a torn place on his upper bill on the right side (as I face my duck).
I cleaned it up but I want to know if I should apply an antibiotic to his bill.
I have seen him drink water and eat 3 of his greens.
However, he does seem to be in pain (I would expect this)
This is my first year with ducks, can anyone help me?
I know of no vet in this area that treats ducks or chickens.
Thank you so much!
Can you post a pic? in the mean time add some unpasteurized Apple cider vinegar to his drinking water it has healing properties and is also good for them to drink.

Does it look like the top layer of the bill, like skin is peeled? My duck injured himself similar to how I described and we cleaned it and I put Vaseline on it the first day, then I cleaned it again and let air to it, the next day it looked almost healed and the skin dried and eventually fell off. I used a diluted peroxide for the first two cleanings and a wet napkin for the third. Not sure if this was the right choice, but it worked. Good luck!

Thank you.
I cleaned the beak and applied a topical antibiotic.
I will try to take a picture tomorrow.
Ducks are all asleep and they look content.

"Spot" (ok I did not name her!) is doing just GREAT! Had watermelon yesterday, and her spinach. She is eating, drinking, bathing and "tolerating" the 2 Indian runners and the 1 silver appleyard who are her pen mates.
I want to thank everyone who posted and I want you all to know you help so MUCH!
I just love this forum. It is so great for a first time duck person...

Here is a pic of my buddies.
Left to right---"Fern The Fearsome"--- Fawn Indian runner, "Spot"---Ancona, "Futhark"---Black Indian runner and "Blue Nites"---Silver Appleyard.
We call Fern "fearsome" because she is the littlest duck and she absolutely runs everyone and everything!
All must be done "Fern's way"
bow.gif

Here is a pic of my buddies.
Left to right---"Fern The Fearsome"--- Fawn Indian runner, "Spot"---Ancona, "Futhark"---Black Indian runner and "Blue Nites"---Silver Appleyard.
We call Fern "fearsome" because she is the littlest duck and she absolutely runs everyone and everything!
All must be done "Fern's way"
bow.gif
They are adorable and glad to hear Spot is doing good today..

Back
Top Bottom