Upper Mid Atlantic early November Hatch

Cycomiko

Songster
5 Years
May 27, 2017
Western Maryland
I have a very young girl go full broody a couple of days ago. I live in Western Maryland on the PA border in the mountains. Have had entire 0 degree weeks as early as the week following Christmas, and when it's not cold tremendous winds plague us. I didn't want a broody hen now, but since she's a special mix towards the future, I don't want to discourage the future (we have a Sussex that went broody this age once, and she hatches twice a year since). Has anyone in the same or worse climate hatched this late outdoors? I do not want them inside anywhere, I have severe dust allergies.

Provided with a dry draft free coop, good mothers can raise chicks in this sort of weather. Special care must be taken to assure that water and feed are always available. If allowed to free range before fully feathered, late chicks may become chilled.

Provided with a dry draft free coop, good mothers can raise chicks in this sort of weather. Special care must be taken to assure that water and feed are always available. If allowed to free range before fully feathered, late chicks may become chilled.
Thanks for the reassurance. That's what I was thinking.

Back
Top Bottom