Upper respiratory disease of some sort.... dead hen

Illinois_ Kelly

Songster
12 Years
Sep 13, 2007
Marion, Illinois
Recently I went out to my chicken coop and found that one of my hens wasn't breathing very well. I pay a lot of attention to my babies so I knew that she hadn't had difficulties the day before. It seem to come on her so suddenly. I'm a nurse so I began dosing her, according to her body weight, with Amixicillin. (that's all I had at the time). We separated her from the rest of the flock and began dosing her twice a day - orally. After about 4 days, she seemed to get better. We continued to medicate her for 4 more days thinking she would continue to get better. TO my surprise, on the 8th day when we went out she was worse again. Laboring to breath, almost gasping for breath worse than before we began medicating her. On the morning of the 9th day, we went out to check on her and she was dead. Beside her mouth was a large pool of liquid as if she had had penumonia and her lungs were full. Does anyone have any ideas what she could have had? Is there such a thing as pneumonia in chickens? I've actually had chickens die exactly like this in the past but I lived a different place so I can't attribute it to some virus that is livnig in the ground. Nor has it affected any of the other birds. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!
~Kelly

whenever you have a death like this, you will never truly know what it is without a necropsy... sometimes a bird will die from a secondary complication rather than the primary cause that made it ill ....so very sorry you lost your bird.

Back
Top Bottom