1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Upper Respiratory Infection...? HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wittman, Mar 13, 2016.

1. wittman

wittman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2016
    NY
    I had bought 6 chicks from Tractor Supply about a week ago, and a few days ago one started to sneeze and sound congested. The next day we added 6 more chicks to the batch before we realized it was something that could spread, so now we have 12 sneezing chicks. Only 4 sound like they are congested and have rattled breathing at the moment.
    We have been putting VetRx in their water hoping it will help, but I have read that it only helps antibiotics.
    Which antibiotics should I be using? There is no way for me to get Tylan, considering it is so pricy, so all I can do is go to Tractor Supply and see what they have.
    I heard that I should use Terramycin and Duramycin, but I don't know which medications those are in and which ones can be used on chicks.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    But you don't even know if it is bacterial. It could just as easily be a viral problem.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Terramycin is oxytetracycline which will treat bacterial and mycoplasma (MG) infections. It could be infectious bronchitis, a virus, but that can look like other diseases. Antibiotics may help prevent secondary bacterial infections. Here is a link about common respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    If you can find this one at TSC, the dosage is 1 1/2 tablespoonsful per gallon of water:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  4. wittman

Mar 10, 2016
    NY
    Ok, thank you for that, I actually just got home and it just so happens that is the antibiotic I bought at Tractor Supply.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Good luck with your chicks. Maybe they picked up something at the feed store. Let us know how they get along.

1 person likes this.
  6. SuperChickRuth

SuperChickRuth Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    Eggcessive: We've got a hen that's gurgling when she's breathing. Cricket. Is this like... the end, or can we do something for her?

IDK.[​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your hen SuperChick Ruth. Is this the one that was hit with the trap door? Unless she has symptoms of a respiratory problem, I don't know what you could do for her except keep her comfortable and warm. Is her crop full and squishy? The gurgling could be from her crop, from a respiratory problem, or from heart failure. Wish that I could help more.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  8. SuperChickRuth

SuperChickRuth Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    Quote:
    Yup, same hen: Cricket. After having sour crop, (I know this sounds odd, but it's true) she doesn't seem to have much of a crop. You can just feel her bone there, and sometimes a little bunch of food there esp. after she's just eaten.

We're thinking she has ascites, or something like that, and have drained her abdomen with syringe. This morning we left her alone, and then when we picked her up, she really started gurgling. Got really scared that she was going to leave us today, it sounded so bad! Thankfully it's died off now, but she still has minor breathing problems.

Thanks for posting, Eggcessive, you've been a big help!

9. wittman

Mar 10, 2016
    NY
    So I've been treating them and I haven't heard any more sneezing, so I'm just going to keep giving them the antibiotics for a bit so it doesn't come back, thank you for helping me with the dosage as well, I wasn't sure how much to give them.
    Sadly, the three smallest chicks didn't make it, but we were able to save the rest of the 9 chicks.
    Thank you for all of your help!

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you lost some, but glad that most made it. Good luck with the chicks in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by