Upside down egg? To flip or not to flip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rockstarwife, Feb 28, 2009.

1. rockstarwife

rockstarwife New Egg

Feb 24, 2009
    I candled eggs in my bator this week - on day 8.
    Here's where I'm totally in wonder: One has the air sac on the bottom - what the heck is that??? I put the eggs in exactly as she gave them to me... pointy end down, but this one looks upside down! The egg itself is very oval in shape, and it is hard to tell which end is pointier, but is it possible that there's been some growth even though it's upside down???? And maybe I'm looking at something incorrectly, but it looks like a completely upside down version of what I'm seeing in all the other eggs. I had another teacher look with me, and she agreed. So... will it definitely die? What if I flipped it now? (today is day 10). It really looks like something is in there - I see a dark mass moving and everything.
    Any thoughts?? Thanks!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I've had them develop when the air cell is at the wrong end...and hatch too! I would flip it, but make sure on day 18 you lay it on its side to hatch so that no matter which end the chick is at it can still pip. Good luck!

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Yes i would trun it your not that far in i filled my first hatch upside down even knew better it was at the end when i saw what had happend they will develop just fine upside down but it will decrease your hatch some most chicks can still get out but some cant espicaly if they are weeker chicks

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Usually the suggestion for air cells in the wrong place is to set the egg outside a turner or carton and turn by hand. Otherwise if that's not possible I'd just turn it over so the air cell is up.

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I've had a few I couldn't tell which end was supposed to be the pointy one until a few days of incubating, then I turned them over and went on and they were fine.

6. rockstarwife

rockstarwife New Egg

Feb 24, 2009
    Thanks... I checked it again today and it was upside down for sure... so I flipped it! Here's hoping for the best!!

7. jss46

jss46 Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    I put my eggs in upside down and it has been 6 days is it too late to flip them

8. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    No, the air sack is still being used upside down, until the chick breaks through to the membrane it should not be that big of an issue. HOWEVER, consider the chick has been growing up to this point upside down and may have oriented in the egg differently. So I would first lay the egg on its side in the incubator for a day or two, hand rotating it about 7 times a day (opposed to the others), then finish the flipping the egg.... that might help to re-orintate the chick if it has grown abnormally.
    As previously said, when hatch time occurs, lay it back on its side as it may pip at either end, you wouldnt think that to occur but have heard about it somewhere.

9. coloradowildflower

coloradowildflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Utah
    x2 on laying it on its side to hatch.

10. jss46

jss46 Just Hatched

Mar 21, 2017
    I'm sorry but I did not expect the quick feed back so I figured since it is just blood vessels that have formed I would flip it so what should I do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by