Upside Down Eyelid?

dutchbunny83

Songster
7 Years
Nov 11, 2012
Fayetteville, NC
This was my first time hatching chicks. Yesterday I had one that was from a barnyard mystery dozen (I don't know I think it has some type of Polish Top Hat in the mix?) is my favorite. Upon looking at him/her closely I noticed that it has a birth defect-- an upside down eyelid.

Instead of blinking from top to bottom it blinks from bottom to top. And the creepy white colored eyelid you see on chickens when their eyes are closed is located beneath the eye not above it. I tried to take a photo, but it wouldn't keep its eye closed long enough.

Obviously there is nothing I can do to fix this, but is it life threatening down the line?
Anyone ever even hear of this before?
What's the cause?

THANKS!!!

PS- Here's a picture of the chick, but you can't see what I'm talking about because eye is open obviously...

I think your chick might be fine. The eye looks very well developed and I cant see anything obvious that would scream defect.
I would watch the chick and just make sure its eating and drinking fine, if its running around and eating then im sure it will grow normaly and be ok.

I think your chick might be fine. The eye looks very well developed and I cant see anything obvious that would scream defect.
I would watch the chick and just make sure its eating and drinking fine, if its running around and eating then im sure it will grow normaly and be ok.

Thank you!
Actually someone just told me that chickens have 2 eyelids and one comes up from the bottom.
Guess that's why I couldn't find anything on google for an upside down eyelid haha!
I don't know how I never noticed that before, it just looked super creepy when I saw this chick's eyelid come up like that.
I'm feelin' a little dumb, haha
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom