Urban farmer in San Antonio

Hi Rachel and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya
Thank you, RJohns39,

I see in your signature that you have Delaware Chickens and that you are a member of the Livestock Conservancy. I would love to know your thoughts on what books or other resources might be the best to read for understanding chicken genetics . What are your thoughts on Delaware chickens? A good source for purchasing Delawares to start my flock? Any other thoughts you would be willing to share I would welcome.

Thank you,
Rachel

Thank you, RJohns39,

I see in your signature that you have Delaware Chickens and that you are a member of the Livestock Conservancy. I would love to know your thoughts on what books or other resources might be the best to read for understanding chicken genetics . What are your thoughts on Delaware chickens? A good source for purchasing Delawares to start my flock? Any other thoughts you would be willing to share I would welcome.

Thank you,
Rachel
I need to clean up my signature... I no longer have Deleware. I got mine from McMurray hatchery and found them to be an overly aggressive breed. Today all I have are Hollands.

Thank you for your thoughts.

So, I am curious what you think of the Hollands as a dual purpose breed? How meaty are they? I have not yet invested in Delaware as I have wanted to make sure that I am choosing the right breed. I want to have a breed that I can help perpetuate and that is a hearty dual-purpose chicken. My main hesitancy about the Delaware is the predominantly white coloring, which I love, but which might make it more susceptible to predators.

The holland is listed as a dual purpose breed but they are light framed. A nice sized cockerel will get a 3lb carcass. The Rhode Island White is pure white and a much bulkier breed. Also very docile and friendly with humans but not a fan of other chicken breeds. I had to brood them separately or they would kill the hollands. I had the same experience with the Dels and other breeds, but they were also human aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom