Urban Free Range?

MaKettle

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Under the Radar, SW Ohio
I live on 1.5 acres in the city. My chickens are under the radar as my township does not allow me to have them unless I live on 3 acres. My home is completely wooded, I cannot see my neighbors but they are there & they are pretty close. I would like to allow my girls to free range while I am home & they are supervised. We would only allow them to run around our patio & our garden, so they wouldn't even be out by the creek or the heavily wooded area. I am concerned that they might fly up into a tree or over into my neighbor's yard & into the mouth of his pit bull.

My question is this: Should I clip their wings before we let them out? Does anyone have experience with free ranging in your urban setting?

Quote:
I don't think that flying is the issue. If they want to wander in the neighbor's yard, they'll just saunter over there. I would be VERY concerned about the neighbor's dog, however. Knowing all I've read about dogs killing chickens on this forum, it's just not worth the risk to let them free range if your'e that close to the neighbor's dog. Staying under the radar will be much easier if your chickens are kept close to home.

Do you have a fence? If not, then I wouldn't try it. We also live within city limits, under the city's radar, in a development with about 3/4 of an acre. We have a 6' privacy fence and I let the chickens out for a few hours in the morning and a few in the evening. As soon as they are all full grown and I can feel safe letting my little 10lb Westie out with them they will free range all day. We have no roosters and we've had all our neighbors over to see them and they are supportive! But again, if you don't have a fence - I wouldn't even think about it!

Can you "fence" in the garden area? Even with some chicken wire? You can let them out into that fenced section. Just kind of walk them over to it if it's not attached. It will be a nice change of pace for them but safer. I have a fenced in yard and I'm still concerned about the neighbors dogs who are not on leash. Flying probably isn't an issue. I like for my girls to have two working wings if they need to keep themselves safe.

My yard is fenced & the area where my coop & run has a privacy fence with lots of ivy & vegetation growing on it so the neighbor cannot see it. I plan to supervise my chickens at all times when they are out of the run. The neighbors dog is not very close--the chickens would really have to get away from me (and outside of the fence) to get near the dog, but its still a concern.

We have an inground pool & 2 dogs so I cannot allow them to NOT be supervised. I'm just more concerned about the chickens flying on to the top of the fence or getting away from me somehow. I believe I can control the other things, I'm afraid that I won't be able to control my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom