Urban Homesteaders

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by operationindigo, Dec 6, 2013.

1. biga

biga Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    Decatur ,AL
    the gardening has really been great for my kids. they WILL NOT eat vegetables... but if it comes out of our garden they'll eat ANYTHING.... squash, broccoli, beans... you name it.
    1 person likes this.
  2. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    It's great that you get the kids involved in the gardening! It's so important for kids to know where their food comes from. What a great way to get them to eat their veggies! Do the kids share in taking care of the chickens, like with the chores?
  3. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I live in my town's village. It's not exactly "urban", but it certainly isn't rural or country, so many of the same rules apply: odd restrictions and limited space. I own a home on about 1/4 of an acre. I currently have 7 hens and in the spring we will be adding 9 more. I have a 10' x 15' in-ground garden and this spring I'll be adding multiple raised beds along the front of our property where grass refuses to grow (very sandy soil). I have a small Apple tree which is not growing nearly fast enough. If someday I can get our huge pine tree down I am hoping to line the front of our property with fruit trees.
  4. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    We have really sandy soil too here in Jacksonville. We hardly get any grass growing in the front yard, and then in the back it's really just weeds that will tolerate the sandy soil. I wish I owned the property so I could turn more of it into fruit/vegetable/herb growing space and skip the grass when I can. Problem is, you need the grasses here to prevent soil erosion in places.
  5. nicole63021

nicole63021 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it ok if really developed suburb folks post here too? We moved into this house not quite 2 years ago, and put in our first garden last spring in raised beds (3 3x5) and it went pretty well after we got the hang of it, and put up mesh to keep the rabbits out. In the summer we got chicks, and tried some hatching. We currently have 9 chickens that are right at the 6 month mark. Getting ready to try growing fodder for them. Also debating trying bees, either mason or honey. Thinking mason to start, since they are such great pollinators and easier to do, but really want to try honey bees. We are going more ambitious with the garden this year. Will still do roma, green zebra, and red and yellow jelly bean tomatoes, but cutting back on the jelly beans and doing more romas. Doing more corn this year, and adding several bean varieties around them (thinking black, calypso, and tiger eye beans, maybe black garbonzos), doing cucumber again, adding zucchini, and trellising them this year. Will also add Athena mini melons, also on a trellis. Doing Lumina pumpkins again, adding sugar pie pumpkins, both on A-frame systems. Doing kale and brussels sprouts again, adding spinach and broccoli this year. Doing purple bell, red cherry, serano, and jalapeno peppers again. Doing english peas again. Adding sweet meat and spaghetti squash. Doing more herbs on the patio, along with trying blueberry for the first time and adding raspberry and maybe blackberry canes. Debating adding onions and/or garlic, as well as potatoes, just haven't made up my mind yet. Finally will do marigolds and nasturtiums again. Whew!! Lets hope it all goes well. This will be my first year trying to do a more staggered, 3 season garden as well. [​IMG]
  6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hello! I live in central Los Angeles in a very urban area and am working my way towards becoming a real urban farmer. I currently have 5 hens (1 leghorn, 1 Delaware, 1 Swedish Flower, 1 bantam cochin, and 1 frizzled naked neck) and am also farming meal worms and composting with red worms. I have four dogs and am trying to convince a stray cat to hang around with somewhat mixed results.

I am actually in the middle of completely rebuilding my set-up for 2014 to include an aquaponic greenhouse with tilapia and a raised bed garden for root veggies (was supposed to be 2013 but I ended up getting married and it threw my whole plan off--but in a good way). I have some experience growing veggies indoors as well with basic hydro/aero set ups. My yard is very small so I am really trying to make the most out of very little but in a way that sort of makes it more fun!

Great idea for a thread. I would love to learn more about what you all are up to.
  7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Are any of you currently keeping bees in an urban or suburban area? They just legalized it my area and am wondering if you are liking it and if anyone complains.
  8. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    We live in a suburban area on 1/3 acre. We currently have about 2 dozen chickens, including the juveniles. We also have a brooder that is constantly full and an incubator that rarely turns off. [​IMG]
    Hatching is VERY addicting! We sell most of the chicks, keep the ones we like best until we see how they lay, then narrow it down from there. The best layers with the best personalities stay. We maintain a dozen layers. The bantam pen is for showing and sheer enjoyment [​IMG] We also have five dogs that I have competed with over the years and all are now retired. We garden, can, and I knit and crochet. Our journey to being self-suufficient is a journey we are loving every minute of! Even if our neighbors do hate our rooster! [​IMG]
    1 person likes this.
  9. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    We are buying a house on 1/4 an acre (seems by far the smallest here). I am planning on gardening (tomatoes, peppers, raspberries, etc) and raising chicken, ducks, quail, and meat rabbits! Chicken and Duck can share a coop/ area and we can house the quail and rabbits in hutches/cages in our sunroom. My biggest concern is our dogs... One is a half wolf... he is the sweetest dog but overly excitable/playful!

I'm really excited to start even though it might be a slow process given I'll be doing house remodeling and trying to build cages/ get animals and going to college full time. I'm more worried about money than time though!

Overall I have high aspirations for our first house =)
    1 person likes this.
  10. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Just outside a small town and in the country on 2 acres, but setting things up in a way that is more commonly seen in urban gardening right now. Rotational grazing, aquaponics, dual purpose animals, "backyard"/easy pick/sq ft orchard, planting natives and heirlooms, etc. We have a great deal of biodiversity out here, and would like to maintain and even improve it.

We have so much invasive cane to clear off the land though that I'm glad we can burn pretty freely out here! I can only make so many cane flutes. x)
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by