Urban Homesteading Family in Pasadena, California

Bullitt

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Texas
I learned about the Dervaes family in Pasadena, California, that turned their residential lot into a mini-farm. They grow like 10,000 pounds of food a year, they have goats and chickens, they make biodiesel to power their vehicles, and solar power provides most of the electricity for their home. The family sells produce to local restaurants.

It is impressive that people can do so much with such a small amount of land.

Anais, the oldest daughter, reminds me of a pioneer woman.

How enterprising! Yes, it is amazing what can be done with just a little land. Quite relevant as well, as it shows how you can farm intesively, yet traditionally.

Our back yard is about 3500 sqr feet and I would love to do this! We grow some vegetables, although we are still in the learning the curve, and compost. I would love to be more self-sufficient.

I know, it would be nice to be self-sufficient, but it is a lot of hard work.

You notice that the family includes four adults who work every day at running what has become a business. What amazes me is they all seem happy living together. Most people would not want to live with parents and siblings as an adult.

This family has also tried to trademark words like "urban homesteading" and love to sue people who the see as infringing on their copy rights. I think what they are doing is cool, but they don't own the idea. Evidently, not everything is as happy as it first appears, either.

That was an interesting video.

I would love to ask a few questions, like how long the father can keep all of his adult kids at home working for him. And what else they do for income. Because 20K a year, to live in LA, pay taxes, house insurance, medical expenses, water, natural gas etc for 4 people seems like there must be some other income they are not talking about (guessing the house must be paid off)

We "lived" off the land as a kid, but my mom had an extra job and so did my dad. And there was not much to that living!

Back
Top Bottom