Urgent advice needed re broody hen and single chick

Put the chick somewhere warm for a few hours. Dunk mama and see if it helps...old timers did this to calm the hens down.

If you have any electrolytes, mix some up and give to mama and chick as well.

You may end up raising baby anyway if mama won't cooperate.

sickchick.jpg

Here is the tiny chick never had a chick before so can anyone tell if it is normal to be this small? it hatched on Thursday night
Vickig~ should my hen be doing more than just sitting like this if so I will dunk her as you advise?

She/he looks good!!!

Dunk mama, she should be fine.

Keep baby warm and he/she will be ok.

It's hard when your new to know what to do, but you are doing it all right!

Try not to worry
smile.png

Vicki

Oh thanks Vicky, i am just hoping against hope that this little one will survive so will do as youv'e said and dunk mum (she won't like it though)
I'm glad you think baby is looking ok! it's sooo tiny and has only taken a few drops of honeyed water since it hatched so it's worrying me half to death:eek:

Wear long sleeves to protect you from getting pecked
smile.png

P.S. He has probably eaten more than you think, today is Sunday, he was born Thursday.....

Last edited:
Well just as I thought it would the little chick passed away in the night! momma hen is soooo confused and I have had to shut her out of the hen house as she is determined to stay sitting the other hens are being spiteful towards her even though she was top hen before going broody~ life can be so cruel

I am so sorry! Poor little thing! Did you dunk the mama hen? I would still do that if you haven't already.....

Thanks~ yes we did dunk momma hen and after a few hours of being picked on by the others while she bawked and searched for her nest and baby she now seems resigned to events and is slowly starting to act chicken like again, preening, scratching and perching on the garden roost so hopefully she will be her old self before bedtime, I hope if she decides to go broody again next year that she does so in spring then maybe there would be a fighting chance of success x

Back
Top Bottom