URGENT!!!! Any advise?????

jennwaters223

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 2, 2013
East Tennneessee
I am desperately searching for answers for my girl. She is an Americauna close to a year and a half old. Her name is Sweetcheeks. I found yolk matter in the nesting box 5 days ago with no shell. I originally thought that my Dominique had busted my Americaunas egg out of curiosity. My Dominique just started laying 2 weeks ago. I now think that my Americauna laid JUST the yolk. I only har the two hens.
Today I let them out of the coop to free range and immediately noticed Sweetcheeks was out of her norm. She literally hasn't made a single peep all day. She slowly walked over to their normal dust bath spot, under the shrubs and stood for about 15 mins before laying a soft egg. There was also a piece for what appeared to be cooked egg white about a 1/4 of an inch long. She has been just standing motionless for long periods ever since. Drinks water. Hasn't eaten all day. I tried steam over her bottom for 1/2 an hour before using corn oil and feeling around in her vent to make sure she wasn't egg bound. couldn't feel any egg. I fear my sweet girl has egg yolk peritonitus. Hi. I was looking up info on egg yolk peritontitus and came across your profile. I am desperately searching for answers for my girl. I was thinking of taking my Americauna, Sweetcheeks to UT vet for a diagnosis this evening, even though she had all the signs of egg yolk peritontitus. I found yolk matter in the nesting box 5 days ago. Today I let them out of the coop to free range and immediately noticed Sweetcheeks was out of her norm. She literally hasn't made a single peep all day. She slowly walked over to their normal dust bath spot, under the shrubs and stood for about 15 mins before laying a soft egg. There was also a piece for what appeared to be cooked egg white about a 1/4 of an inch long. She has been just standing motionless for long periods ever since. Drinks water. Hasn't eaten all day. I tried steam over her bottom for 1/2 an hour before using corn oil and feeling around in her vent to make sure she wasn't egg bound. couldn't feel any egg. No muddy bottom or swelling of the abdomen area (as far as I can tell). I fear my sweet girl has egg peridontitus.

Day 2: Today she has eaten and drank water!!! It took her several hours to leave the coop this morning. She was moving about the yard and slowly pecking around. Now she is just standing quietly under a shrub. She is still not herself. Please help me if you can! Any advice??

I have the same exact thing going on with one of my hens right now, right down to the lethargy, egg matter, and everything. I have mine on broad-spectrum antibiotics and frequent warm baths. Am as unsure as you are! And worried!

I'm having similar issues & wish I had answers. I'm afraid it's just not good. I'm trying to find situations where it was just a "phase", but not finding much.

My hen is still eating fine & active after she passes the egg. She has been passing the yolk & whites, then a little later she passes the soft shell with what looks to be powdery buildup. She will go into hen house or under bush while this is going on. Her bottom has been very messy. I'm afraid blockage or infection will set in if she keeps laying eggs like this. We don't care if she lays, she can hang around as pet for as long as she wants. So far I don't notice swelling. Long weekend is over & back to work, so I won't be able to keep such a close eye on her.

My hen is still eating fine & active after she passes the egg. She has been passing the yolk & whites, then a little later she passes the soft shell with what looks to be powdery buildup. She will go into hen house or under bush while this is going on. Her bottom has been very messy. I'm afraid blockage or infection will set in if she keeps laying eggs like this. We don't care if she lays, she can hang around as pet for as long as she wants. So far I don't notice swelling. Long weekend is over & back to work, so I won't be able to keep such a close eye on her.

Same exact thing going on with me. She's moving around and eating, but has periods of lethargy. It's very heartbreaking to see her like this. She is such a sweet girl. She is on oral antibiotics so I can only hope those will help.

Well, we are off to see the vet tomorrow afternoon to see if anything else can be done, like a stronger dose of antibiotics. I also discovered that she has bumblefoot, so if she's fighting two different infections at the same time that might be too much for her immune system, so we are seeking professional help at this point. I feel terrible for her, I can feel her breastbone sticking out.

Last edited:
Well, we are off to see the vet tomorrow afternoon to see if anything else can be done, like a stronger dose of antibiotics.  I also discovered that she has bumblefoot, so if she's fighting two different infections at the same time that might be too much for her immune system, so we are seeking professional help at this point.  I feel terrible for her, I can feel her breastbone sticking out.

Hoping a recovery is possible. What was the news from vet?

Back
Top Bottom