URGENT!! Broken or dislocated leg?

zachstedman0103

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2020
Hi
I have an issue with a chicken after is has been attacked by a predator and its leg is flat from the hock to the foot see photo! It other leg is ok and I cant feel any broken bones but I am new to this. Can anyone please help or give advice? It also has a wound which I am disinfecting regularly. Tried a sling but it doesnt seem to work it just flaps out.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20200610_174433_HDR.jpg
    thumbnail_20200610_174433_HDR.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 18
  • thumbnail_20200610_174415_HDR.jpg
    thumbnail_20200610_174415_HDR.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 16
Where is the wound that you are treating located? I'm attaching a splinting manual at the bottom which explains how to examine for fractures and how to splint various ones, which may be helpful. It's also possible that there is muscle or ligament damage or sprains, which may not be obvious but can take a while to heal and may be quite painful. Bruising may show up later and be dark or greenish looking. There are various types of slings, I will attach some examples, which might help for periods, but some birds don't tolerate them well, so use your best judgement so she doesn't hurt herself more, and always supervise. You can also use rolled up bath towels around her to prop her up some and maybe make her more comfortable. Is she eating and drinking well? Sometimes it's just time that they need, and supportive care.
0fc3977125679ff97e41196d94cdfb6b--broken-leg-recovery.jpg

7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

DIY-Plastic-Bin-Chicken-Sling.jpg

e0342c9d342cb3f8f72cf353724e56d4.jpg

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
Thankyou that is all very helpful. The wound is located under the wing so is less susceptible to infection but is still obviously very possible. Yes it could potentially be muscle or ligament sprains as you say. It is eating and drinking well, and strangely enough even though it has been through the trauma of being attacked it is laying! I have made her as comfortable as possible but it is such a great chicken I do not want her to be in pain! :)
If I left it and just treated the wound regularly but just made her as comfortable as possible over the next few weeks would it heal by itself or would it heal improperly?

It just depends on whether it's broken or sprained. If it's broken and not aligned well, then it could take a longer time to heal. Sometimes, even if not aligned real well ,a break will heal and they will do well enough getting around. Hard to predict, each injury is different. Sprains and strains can also take some time to resolve. If she's relatively comfortable, then I would just keep an eye on her, see how she does. You can use plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment on the wound under the wing.

Ok that's very interesting!!! One more question! How long roughly would you think it may take before she can walk steadily? She does get around a bit but just hobbles and limps, it looks quite painful. Thanks again for the advice, I am a beginner so I appreciate anything!!

It's very hard to predict that, it depends so much on what the actual injuries are. Sometimes patience is the hardest thing, but time is a great healer. As long as they are eating, drinking, pooping normally, then I usually keep going and try to give them every chance. If things change, you can always reassess. And of course it's entirely up to you how much time and effort you are willing and able to put into caring for her.

Back
Top Bottom