URGENT! Chicken layer feed has "dead animal bodies" in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lululemon436

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
I was on the public bus with my mom the other day, and i saw an advertisement on top of the seats, and it read that you should stop purchasing chicken layer feed cause they put a bunch of crap in it like dead animals bodies from the animal pound! my mom was shocked and since then, last 3 months, we have been feeding our chickens just lots of table scraps mixed with oats and a little bit of bird feed from time to time (the kind with corn and birdseed in it). I have been having another problem with my chicken (see my other posts) and it seems that it may be because of what i have been feeding them and the lack of protien. should i start on regular layer feed again? what are your opinions on this? keep in mind, i have already spend lots of $$$$ changing their layer food into this new diet and the regular chicken feed store is 25 miles away and thats an awful lot of gas money!

I would do your research before changing their food. I would continue feeding them the regular chicken feed instead of treats and snacks. Do your research and find the feed brand you feel safe with.

You need to go back to feeding the chicken feed. What is it you spent a lot of money on? THe bird seed? If so, you don't have to throw it away just give them a little bit as a treat but most of what they have to eat should be the layer feed.
sharon

Definitely go back to layer feed, and don't trust everything you hear. Your layer feed has an ingredient list, and it's in plain English. If you see something you don't like, grab another bag and look at it instead. I highly HIGHLY doubt that animals from the pound are ending up in chicken feed of any brand. If you're still worried about buying premixed feed, you can mix your own from grains, but table scraps and birdseed isn't likely to be balanced enough for them. Lack of protein, lack of calcium, vitamin deficiencies... it can get really bad. Better to feed something you know is going to be good for them.

Feed them the layer feed. It does not have animals from the pound in it, sheesh. It may have animal protein in the form of porcine meal, but has nothing from ruminants (animals that chew the cud and have a multi-compartment stomach) in it, which is a good thing, but the vegetarian feeds were a big deal when the mad cow disease scares were everywhere. Sounds like some activist group's scare tactics to me. Anyone can pay for an advertisement.

You can't believe everything you read, go back to feeding your chickens regular feed. That add was probably paid for by some fringe group opposed to God knows what these day's, don't let them scare you, talk to us and get the real answers. Most of us feed chicken feed and we are very confidant that our layer feed is healthy.

AL

I have dead animal bodies in my refrigerator! London Broil and shrimp, to be exact.

You know, it's one of those situations where an ounce of truth is stretched into absurdity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom