URGENT!!! DIlemma with egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, Oct 19, 2008.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have a issue, an egg pipped late Friday, I still had a turkey that was working on getting out so I left the chicken eggs alone. I removed the last Turkey yesterday so they wouldn't "crush" the others, I had a Phoenix and a Cochin hatch and they apparently pecked at the hole onthis egg making it large overnight.
    The chick is peeping occassionally and breathing but not really moving. I do not see any bleeding, the typical dried blood look on the inside of the shell.
    My hunidity is staying about 55% but the membrane is sticking badly to the chick, I do have a warm wet papertowel around it,
    I am thinking it is still absorbing as it looks very wet and yellowy around the lower part of the chick.
    I am wondering if I should try to help a bit? Another is pipped and I don't want that one to hatch and start pecking this one.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If it has been that was since Friday I would personally help it along. I usually just crack all the way around the shell, without breaking the membrane, then wet the membrane w/ water off a q-tip, being careful not to get it in the chick's beak. Then I will usually put the egg back and see if the chick can push itself out. You also need to get your humidity up to at least 65%. The wet paper towel around it is good too. Good luck!

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I would take the new chicks out and leave it alone. I've heard where people have a chick out of the egg a couple days premature for whatever reason and they leave in the incubator and all is well. I've even seen where they absorb the yolk right off the incubator floor!!

Just make sure your humidity is good. Maybe put a glass of water in there...not sure...hopefully someone else will chime in.

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I did move the new ones to the brooder. I have the egg in a warm wet towel and I am pretty sure it is still absorbing the yolk. I am keeping the humidity about 55%

5. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

I would be inclined to do what KellyHM said, but also take the other chicks out. Good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by