Urgent Duck Help! Will My Ducklings Be Okay?

TheWalkingDucks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Michigan
Early this morning I was changing the bedding and cleaning my ducklings brooder out. I sat them on the floor next to me and went about cleaning. I looked over at them a few moments later and they had wandered all the way across the room to the cat litter box. All four of them were pecking at the little bit of spilled clumping cat litter. I quickly scooped three of them up and put them in the tote but one of my KC's hopped into the litter box and ate a mouthful of the kitty litter before I could grab him.
barnie.gif
I quick grabbed him and put him in the tote too. I feel absolutely horrible, I should have been watching them better. I never thought they would get into the cat box. This happened at around 5:30 this morning. They are all acting normally, eating and drinking and running around like they always do but I am super worried!!
hit.gif
Is there anything I should do or give them?

They also busted the light bulb in their brooder today. I have no idea how they managed to do it because it had a guard on it but I'm quickly learning ducks will and can get into everything! Luckily I saw them do it and was able to grab them all before they stepped on any of the glass, it shattered from the top so most of the glass was caught inside the busted bulb itself if that makes sense. The weather is really, really nice here so I was wondering if they even need a heat lamp anymore? They haven't been laying under it all, they refuse to. It's between 60-70 during the day and 40-50 at night. They are still in the house and I use a space heater to warm the room up if it seems a bit chilly. They're three weeks old, so can I stop using a heat lamp now?

Kevin565

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
1. I would make sure they have access to grit. If they haven't shown symptoms by now then there's a good chance they will be alright.

2. Are you sure they broke it? Could it have possibly exploded? I've known people who have had this happen in the past.

3. I would still suggest having some heat source.

TheWalkingDucks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Michigan
1. I would make sure they have access to grit. If they haven't shown symptoms by now then there's a good chance they will be alright.

2. Are you sure they broke it? Could it have possibly exploded? I've known people who have had this happen in the past.

3. I would still suggest having some heat source.
Thank you so much for the response! They do have access to grit and water and are eating and drinking happily, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
fl.gif

My peking was jumping up at it trying his hardest to reach it so I thought he had pecked it and that's how it broke, but maybe it did just explode. It seems like if he had broken it it would have shattered the opposite way. Alright, I'll raise the heat lamp a bit more just to be sure they can't reach it. Thank you for your help!
smile.png

Kevin565

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
It's no problem at all. I hope all of your ducklings will be okay and you won't have anymore heat lamp incidents.
hugs.gif

Top Bottom