URGENT DUCKLING CANT STAND UP.

coolguy221822

Songster
6 Years
Apr 7, 2015
This little guy has been in the incubator for 24 hours and has not attempted to stand up yet. I but him in the brooder so he dose not get dehydrated in the gator and he can walk. I had to dip him in the water. Also, is this normal?pic below

Oh, the poor dear - Wobbles was like this fresh out of the shell, weak and on his back. I gave him a little sugar water mixed with a bit of crushed B vitamin and that seemed to perk him up. Do you have a medicine dropper? It may or may not help much, but it's worth a shot...I'm rooting for ya, lil' guy!

I had a Welsh do that. It just took a little time. I carefully gave her some water from a dropper every few hours and about a day or two later she was fine.

I hatched 12 welsh harlequins in an incubator, but one came out of the shell with a bloody lump on top of its head. We are going on day 3. Not sure if this is relevant, but it was larger than the others. I runs and falls. It's legs are spread apart facing outward often. I have never seen it try to eat or drink. I force feed it. It runs around and stumbles. Attaching pics.

Last edited:
@mcw1906 Here is info on leg issues and how to treat when you scroll down you'll shee how to hobble for spraddle legs it needs to be done asap .https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Are any of your ducks crested? that is what this reminds me of. What are you doing to treat the open place on the lil ones head, and is it closing up on its own?

Be very careful when force feeding you don't get food and water down into the air sacs. best to just make a soupy mash and try dribbling it along the bill or just tiny bits right inside the bill.

Last edited:
@mcw1906
  Here is info on leg issues and how to treat when you scroll down you'll shee how to hobble for spraddle legs it needs to be done asap .https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Are any of your ducks crested? that is what this reminds me of. What are you doing to treat the open place on the lil ones head, and is it closing up on its own? 

Be very careful when force feeding you don't get food and water down into the air sacs. best to just make a soupy mash and try dribbling it along the bill or just tiny bits right inside the bill. 
it is a pekin. All of my ducks are really weak what should I do. I have them drinking sav a chick, though.

it is a pekin. All of my ducks are really weak what should I do. I have them drinking sav a chick, though.
Tell me about your set up, what are the temps in your brooder are they eating? sav a chick is good are they drinking well? Hows his belly looking now I see it had a lil blood on it in the pic?

@mcw1906
  Here is info on leg issues and how to treat when you scroll down you'll shee how to hobble for spraddle legs it needs to be done asap .https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Are all of them pooping?

-Kathy

I had wrapped it because it was so bad that I was worried about it slamming it against various things. Then I unwrapped it after reading here to keep it uncovered . It has neosporin. It is in a "jail" cell now so that it can be in the brooder near the others and the heat lamp, but it is separated from the others until it heals completely. It has dried up and stopped bleeding. I'm going to read about the legs. And thx for the tip on the legs mash.

I hatched 12 welsh harlequins in an incubator, but one came out of the shell with a bloody lump on top of its head. We are going on day 3. Not sure if this is relevant, but it was larger than the others. I runs and falls. It's legs are spread apart facing outward often. I have never seen it try to eat or drink. I force feed it. It runs around and stumbles. Attaching pics.

Welcome to BYC! I hate to say it, but I think the lump on the head might be an exposed brain. The legs can be fixed by hobbling them (see link Miss Lydia posted). Is it pooping?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom