Urgent - eggbound or something else?

CJD

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
This morning when I went into the coop, one of my chickens had a hard time getting up and is doing the "penguin walk" with a swollen belly. I tried searching the forums for "eggbound", but I'm not sure if that's what's wrong with her.

She's a one year old (on St. Patricks Day) light brama. I have her in a crate, away from the other chickens. She is pooping, but it's runny. I did see her peck at her food this afternoon, but there doesn't seem to be anything in her crop. Her belly is huge, and almost dragging on the ground, but it's soft to the touch, I can't feel an egg in there. She makes chirping noises when I come in, her eyes are bright and she's alert, but I can tell she's uncomfortable, and sometimes I think she seems to be straining, and then she seems to pant. Otherwise, her breathing is normal. I was planning on trying the warm bath/heating pad thing tonite when I get home from work.

She normally gets free choice layer ration, and scratch grains once per day (in the morning to help churn up the bedding in the coop). They've been outside for the last couple of days, but there aren't any bugs around because there's still snow on the ground.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds like she's eggbound, or could it be something else? Am I going to lose her?

Mary

Last edited:
Last edited:
hugs.gif
I hope you find out whats wrong and she gets better

Dlhunicorn - thanks for the links. There's a ton of great information there.

She spent the day alone in a warm area, and tonite she's eating like crazy and has a full crop, but she still has a huge belly and walks like a penguin. I can't feel any hard mass or anything in her belly, it just feels soft and hot. If she had an infection, would she be eating and drinking? She's pooping, but it's small and watery.

I'm going to try the warm towel/heating pad for a while and see if that helps at all....The poor thing - her belly almost drags on the ground when she tries to walk.

Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom