Urgent: Frozen Waterers

I used to use a heated dog bowl filled with water for larger water dispensers, had to replace the water often due to evaporation though so the cookie tin is better.
I use a heated dog bowl that probably holds 4-5 quarts. It's never evaporated itself dry. The relative humidity is usually pretty high here, though. It's 72% right now, even at 6 degrees.

After buying a heated waterer and finding my chickens ro not want to drink out of it no matter what i did. I bought some rubber feed/water tubs and all i do i step on them and the ice comes out. Im going to also get a heated dog bowl this way im not hauling water ever 1 to 2 hours.

If you can plug in heat lamps (not recommended by the way!), then you have electricity and can plug in a heated waterer. Much better than heat lamps, those are a fire hazard and not necessary at your temperatures. Heated dog bowls are the best - easy for the chickens to use, easy for you to clean and refill, inexpensive (compared to other heated waterers), and all around great. The golf ball trick only works if the balls keep periodically moving, and if the temperatures don't drop too low. Kind of like how streams and rivers (moving water) are the last to freeze, but they too can freeze if it gets cold enough, so it will take a lot less for the gently bobbing golf balls.

Back
Top Bottom