Urgent Help- Favus on chicks body

BHFarm

Chirping
Oct 25, 2018
*Edited to add* I highly believe she has Favus based on the appearance of her skin and also her little comb is missing hair behind it. She is breathing heavily but not through her mouth. I am going to put Monistat on her twice a day but what else can I do to try and save this girl? Anything oral I can give? Baths in something?
Does anyone know how she might have gotten it? Also can it be transferred to me?

This is my 4 week old polish, Shirley. She’s suppose to be a pullet, hoping she is as her Mohawk isn’t growing fast. She’s much smaller than my other polish the same age. Today I checked her over and she had this buildup on her, mostly under her wings but also on her back. I don’t see any bugs and no other chicks with her have this.
She is the smallest so not sure if being pushed around might have something to do with it? She’s eating and drinking.

Attachments

• 040765D7-BB31-4418-9953-B80B47BFF075.jpeg
    040765D7-BB31-4418-9953-B80B47BFF075.jpeg
    502 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I notice one of my baby chicks has crusty skin along feathers. I’ve been searching the forum, and came across your post. I’m new at this, so I have no idea.
It’s actually one of the reasons I came to this forum.
I hope some answers come in for you soon.
I will definitely be following—as I’m having the same problem.

Ducklingguy 🦆

I notice one of my baby chicks has crusty skin along feathers. I’ve been searching the forum, and came across your post. I’m new at this, so I have no idea.
It’s actually one of the reasons I came to this forum.
I hope some answers come in for you soon.
I will definitely be following—as I’m having the same problem.

Ducklingguy 🦆
I posted it on some chicken FB pages I am on and someone said its this...it actually fits the description very well.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/ringworm
https://www.farmhealthonline.com/disease-management/poultry-diseases/favus/

Can you please update. Did the antifungal cream work?

I got 53 bantam chicks from Ideal Poultry on April 30 (6 died within first 72 hours), and 1, a Silkie, came with a bad eye infection that I first confused with wet food around the eye. I realized it was an eye infection when it didn't wash off. I didn't know what it was so at first I treated it with triple antibiotic ointment, but it spread to part of the neck, chest, back, under wing and near the tail, causing dry flaky skin, itchiness and feather loss, so that made me think it's a fungal infection, as I don't see any lice or mites. It wasn't until 2 weeks later, after it had spread to several other chicks' skin, that I got something to treat it with, Bannix spray for fungal and bacterial infections to spray on their skin, and erythromycin eye ointment for the Silkie's eye. I've been using it for about a week, but I've run out of the 16 oz. of Bannix, and the spread of the fungus hasn't stopped, though the Silkie's eye is better and skin around it has grown some feathers. Whatever it is it spread quickly, so I got over 1-2 dozen chicks to treat. I'm looking for the best treatment. My chicks brooder ia a new 8' by 8' tent with sand as their litter, which I scoop clean about once a week. Every I used for them, from their Comfort brooder heating plate, heat lamp, tarp, feeders and waterers were new, so I don't think they got the fungal infection from home, I think it came from the hatchery. Please, I need advice as to how to treat my chicks for this before it spreads anymore and they lose most of their feathers.

Photoshowing the white Silkie with eye infection, before being treated, and before the skin problem became visible and spread to others.
20210507_124634.jpg

This is how the top/back of 2 of the 3 White Crested Polish chicks look like. Similar to areas on the neck, back of the wings, neck, side of body under wings, and in a few near the base of the tail, dry and slighly flaky bare skin. No redness or oozing, just itchiness and feather loss.
20210530_110718.jpg

Can see the skin issue on the back top of the wings of this Buff Sebright chick, it also has it on neck and sides of body under the wings. Could it be a defeathering mite? I see no more or debris, just flaky skin.
20210520_214751~2.jpg

20210520_215753.jpg

20210520_215246.jpg

2 of the replacement chicks have similar skin issue, and they have not been with the older chicks. They are 4 days old today. This Golden Neck d'Uccle has it near neck.
20210530_153912.jpg

I don't know what to suggest medically, but are you sure they aren't pulling feathers out of boredom or stress? Or could it be an environmental irritant?

Do they have any enrichment in their pen to keep them amused? Bare sand with poop only scooped once a week isn't ideal.

Are they overcrowded in that space?

As well as investigating medical causes, there are perhaps some other obvious ones which could easily be addressed.

I'm sorry to hear about the eye infections. Have the hatchery given you any advice? Have you got on top of the infections or do you want to post some pics here?

I don't know what to suggest medically, but are you sure they aren't pulling feathers out of boredom or stress? Or could it be an environmental irritant?

Do they have any enrichment in their pen to keep them amused? Bare sand with poop only scooped once a week isn't ideal.

Are they overcrowded in that space?

As well as investigating medical causes, there are perhaps some other obvious ones which could easily be addressed.

I'm sorry to hear about the eye infections. Have the hatchery given you any advice? Have you got on top of the infections or do you want to post some pics here?

Thanks for the reply. I don't think they are overcrowded, they seem to have plenty of space, and I don't see them pecking each other, only a few play fighting by bumping chest, but I could probably provide them with more enrichment. I hang a cabbage, which keep a few busy, and they have a place to perch, but will build them a small jungle gym one as soon as I can. Would appreciate other suggestions. The only irritant I see is the dust from the sand and dander released from their feathers flying in the air. I'm going to place my Ionic Air Cleaner in the brooder yent yo ese ir that helps. The hatchery (Ideal Poultry) has not given any advice, and has stayed silent regarding the eye/skin fungal infection that came with their chick/s. I can't wait for them to all be feathered out and ready to go outside. Most days the weather has suck so far, with too much rain and low temperatures for May, so haven't been able to take them out yet.

Back
Top Bottom