urgent help needed how to keep chicks cool.

sonic164

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
I've just been up to check my flock of 4 and there all laying down panting with the wings open how can i keep them cool ??

How old are your chicks?

For my Chickens they are about 3months old. I go out periodicaly and put ice cubes/ huge chunks in their water. I also have heard that freezing water bottles and then laying them around so they can lay next to them to keep themselves cool.

I hope this helps
smile.png

Well - they're doing what they're doing (panting and spreading wings) to keep themselves cool aleady. You can put a small fan on them to help create a breeze, some offer frozen veggies or the frozen jugs of water in the run (although mine always avoided them rather than cuddling next to them
tongue.png
), make sure they have shade, even if just with shade cloth. Yeah, it's hard watching them look so miserable, isn't it?
sad.png

I know nothing about chicks so this info is what I do for my hens. I freeze a small water bottle and put either in their cage or where they like to snooze, usually on the porch. I put out several so nobody fights over the cool spot.
Could you bring your little ones inside? I have heard of folks putting them on a towel--dry--in the bathtub during the hot part of the day, then back outside once the sun went down. That's only if the room is warmer than 78 degrees. I have turned on the heat lamp in the bathroom to warm it up for when I bathe my animals to keep them from getting a chill. Might work for your little chicks. Let us know how it goes.

i've sprayed the ground with water and put some frozen bottles in and the've just gone to sleep on them. they are alive btw i checked that and alot cooler then they were so i think that's worked thanks
smile.png

Hello All,
This is my first post. Im wondering the same thing. This is my second batch of chicks. My first order of 14 ( 7 NHR and 7 BR) was July '08. I have 5 left. So it was time to get more for the eggs. They free range in my back yard.
My new chicks, 7 Buff Orp came from MPC and are all doing great. They are 5 wk today. Its HOT HOT HOT here in TEXAS. Over 100 every day, from 100 - 110. I have been bringing them inside about noon, and just the past 2 nights taking back outside about 8:30 pm and its still about 97. I have one huge frozen bottle in their 4x4 pen. Its in the shade at all times. I remember with my first batch, one day I went out and they were panting and spreading wings, scared me! so I kept them in the house in the afternoon, but I dont remember for how long. I put them out in my chicken house at about 3 mo.
I also wet the yard around bushes and such for the old hens. ANd wet the ground in the chick pen, and have a little flower pot saucer that I keep water in , in case they want to wade in it.
Im wondering at what age can they stand the heat to stay outside all day.

I love this forum and am already thinking about getting more in the fall when its not so hot. Just havent decided what kind to get yet, I may get a straight run and have some roos to eat.

thanks!
pam in TX

I do the frozen bottles. I also give frozen fruit n veggies. They love them. Sometimes I will hose run down. It cools it off for a bit. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom