URGENT HELP with hatching, please!!!

Mar 31, 2020
United Kingdom
Hello, we have been incubating Indian RUnner ducks. 3 of them hatched beautifully yesterday, but because of them being so tall and hitting their heads violently against the ceiling of the incubator, I had to remove them as soon as they fluffed up. OPening the incubator for a few times to remove them has, however, effected the left two eggs. I think their membrane dried up and shrank despite of us misting them with warm water everytime we opened the incubator. I was suspecting something wrong last night already, but was very affraid to intervene. This morning it was obvious that they needed out as there was no rocking of eggs, very gentle peep and only could feel some gentle pecking when i felt the egg. I have decided to assist (I worry way too late). Lots of blood vessels still active and full of blood, I kept moistening the membrane with warm water. It was so dry it kept pealing in several layers. In one I have sadly damaged a smaller blood vessel in the process. I didnt want to trouble them anymore and as I have hatched their upper body, I left the bottom half shell at their bottom and kept them in incubator. they are just lying there exhausted, not moving much, just breathing shallowly. occasional tiny stir or peep. I wonder whether i should attempt at the bottom half (I am wondering whether they can eventually wriggle out themselves IF they get strength or does it mean it will just stick to them forever and kill them? They look very very weak. Please please advise somebody.

Here are the photos, if that is helpful. THank you!

Attachments

• 20200507_083904.jpg
    20200507_083904.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200507_083916.jpg
    20200507_083916.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 17
i would say don’t take the bottom shell off, let it wiggle out on its own. i’ve had the same happen with my chicks and the membrane drying up, and i tryed to help it by pulling the shell off and it turned out that the chick hadn’t absorbed all of the yolk yet and it ended up passing a few hours later. 3 weeks ago i had the same happen AGAIN and i gently helped pick the shells off, but i left the shell around the bottom of the egg, and the next morning when i went out to check on her, she wiggled out herself and is perfectly fine!

Just to follow up on the case (perhaps someone facing a similar situation may find it helpful). I have kept the bottom part of the shells. The ducklings were too exhausted to move for a couple of hours (except for a few small jerky movements). But eventually, they have very very slowly shed the last part of the shell and very slowly kept gaining on strength. By evening they have been very lively and tomorrow morning they will be able to leave the incubator! Chicken_girl, many thanks for the prompt advice once again! It has put my mind at ease and kept me from making a potentially fatal mistake.

Just to follow up on the case (perhaps someone facing a similar situation may find it helpful). I have kept the bottom part of the shells. The ducklings were too exhausted to move for a couple of hours (except for a few small jerky movements). But eventually, they have very very slowly shed the last part of the shell and very slowly kept gaining on strength. By evening they have been very lively and tomorrow morning they will be able to leave the incubator! Chicken_girl, many thanks for the prompt advice once again! It has put my mind at ease and kept me from making a potentially fatal mistake.

your welcome! i’m glad it helped!

Back
Top Bottom