URGENT HELP

CaswellCoop

Chirping
Dec 11, 2021
Deep east Texas
Babies are 5 days old. One isnt doing well, but seemed fine just hours ago. she did have pasty butt which I corrected and fluffed her dry with a hair dryer before placing her back into the brooder (which I have been doing and checking for several times a day sine they arrived) but now she is very lethargic, droopy wings when she walks, is wobble and doesn't want to move much at all, just laying there. She walks a couple steps and lays back down when someone steps on her. Doesn't respond to my voice like the others or like she did before. I made her drink a little but I'm so worried. What can I do?

View attachment 2925847
Hi, sorry to hear about the sick chick, here is a helpful article

Post in thread 'Help! Baby Chick is Sleepy/Refusing to eat?'
https://www.backyard chickens.com/threads/help-baby-chick-is-sleepy-refusing-to-eat.1474938/post-24575825
Thank you. This all happened within a matter of a couple of hours. She seems to be getting worse. I did give some sugar water via syringe but I'm not sure if it helped. She throws her head back and acts like she chokes on it or cant breathe :(

I understand, i had similar experience, I lost 7 chicks within a week of receiving them for whatever reasons, I’m not sure but it was horrible. Be careful with syringe feeding that liquids are not going into the windpipe. Their windpipe is in the middle and liquids /food can be introduced on either side to avoid aspiration. Sometimes dipping the beak into liquid gets them to drink, or dripping liquid onto the beak works. I really hope she gets well….

1639253366487.jpeg

If the suggestions from the link I sent earlier don’t work you may have to wait and see, provide access to water, food and make sure it’s warm enough in brooder. Some of them just don’t make it unfortunately.
I got her to drink, now just waiting and letting her rest to see if she perks up. I'm so upset 😭

I had a weak chick w pasty butt. Every 30 minutes I held her in my shirt and dipped my pinky in egg yolk which I touched to her beak so she could get a few drops. After about 24 hours I noticed a significant difference. If you have the time, I suggest trying that. All chicks are different but egg yolk is what they live off after hatching so it is really good for them.

Back
Top Bottom