Urgent: Hen recently attacked

princesspeaches

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 14, 2016
My 4 year old hen got attacked by presimably a dog whem we were out. There is a large chunk of skin missing and maybe muscle exposed. We are not sure what to do and are very worried. Should we put her down? Or does she have a chance? Sorry for spelling mistakes just want to act fast. Trying to add picture

Edit: Added a photo.

Last edited:
Treat with antibiotics and wound care. Keep her isolated and see what happens. I wouldn't kill her simply because a dog tried to kill her. There's a possibility of recovery. Just monitor, antibiotics and wound care. She'll either heal, or she won't. As long as she's eating and drinking and starts mending, she should recover.

Ok, thank you. She was eating and drinking. She is isolated and falling asleep. I flushed her wound with hydrogen peroxide and gave her water mixed with a small dose of aspirin. Should I do anything else? Thank you again for your reply.

I would go to tractor supply or whatever feed store you have and get some medicine to give her - give her some antibiotics. They should carry stuff that you can give chickens. I would do a 7 day course, just to be safe to avoid infection.

If she's eating and drinking, infection will be your biggest risk factor while it heals.

If she is isolated away from the rest of the birds and she's laying I wouldn't even treat with antibiotics if you don't want to ... I've had many hens attacked by dogs (unfortunately) and I usually flush the wound several times a day with diluted iodine and make sure I give them plenty of fluids by syringe if they won't drink on their own and I also hand feed them anything they will eat that is high in protein and iron. You want to make sure you help replace the iron loss from bleeding and make sure you keep their energy up. Also don't forget them at sunlight plays a big role in their recovery so if you can take her out for maybe 20 to 30 minutes every day while she's healing and let her relax in the sun it'll do her a lot of good! Don't stress! You'd be surprised how well they heal!

Back
Top Bottom