urgent I wormed my silkie today and now she is Gasping

psycoforsilkies

Songster
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
East central Texas
Ok well I wormed all my chickens today for the first time, everyone seems fine except one silkie hen who is
1 year old ( i have had her about 2 months)
wormed with 1/4 ml of Albendalzole
things went well for a few hours
then she started gasping like for breath
has a whezzing sound on exhale just like a child with asthma
shakes head & neck like a crazy thing??
breathes with mouth open?

anyone have any ideas no one else has a prob with this med, she is in a pen with 4 other banthams usually
I have her isolated now in my chicken hospital area for her own comfort.

First time... Did you, were you aware of where the windpipe, the airhole was, and avoid it? Are you pretty sure that giving an oral medication, you did not get it into her airway?

I don't know.. it kinda sounds like some of the medication got into her airway and she is trying to get it out. Like she aspirated some. I, personally, my opinion only, I might try to hold her point her head downward and give her chest, her lungs just a little push, to try to clear her throat.... express some air and thereby the medicine that may have "went down the wrong pipe".

The worming is right, unfortunately, you may have had some bad luck with her aspirating some, that is pretty rare. I'm sorry... maybe someone else has had this happen, and knows what they did to help them clear their airway.

If it was much, she would have died immediately. Keep us posted and I hope she can clear it out, and has no ill effects from it. You will have to repeat the worming in ten days as well, and now, that might be intimidating for you, having had this experience.

What is the non-generic name of this medication? The brand name?

Best of luck.

I don't think I went down the wrong way , I was very careful, and just gave her drops at a time and let her drink it up. It was name brand/not generic. I split a bottle with a friend of mine since they come in large bottles and has a shelf life. Hoping she feels better today.

I lost a hen after deworming with Valbazen. The entire flock was dewormed in the morning and that evening, she started acting ill - a few hours later she died. The rest of the flock was fine and has been dewormed again with no problems. Best we could figure is maybe she was allergic to it or something. I hope your silkie recovers.

It seems to make sense that aspiration was involved, or, just like humans, some medications/drugs can have lethal effects on individuals. Sorry!

I'm looking for answer concerning deworming-- How does deworming effect hatching eggs? I know not to eat the eggs after deworming, but does anyone know about hatching the eggs laid during the worming process?

Last edited:
It seems to make sense that aspiration was involved, or, just like humans, some medications/drugs can have lethal effects on individuals. Sorry!

I'm looking for answer concerning deworming-- How does deworming effect hatching eggs? I know not to eat the eggs after deworming, but does anyone know about hatching the eggs laid during the worming process?

Wazine causes defects in eggs laid during the worming process. That's the only one I know of. Once the worming is done you should be able to hatch eggs after the withdrawal period.

Good luck.

We are not eatting the Eggs for 3 days, We are holding them and hatching, was told it was safe. She has also made a great recovery and seems to be just fine, but I did lose one baby from the worming 12 week old. everyone else seems to be doing well to.

We are not eatting the Eggs for 3 days, We are holding them and hatching, was told it was safe. She has also made a great recovery and seems to be just fine, but I did lose one baby from the worming 12 week old. everyone else seems to be doing well to.

I used Valbazen on 3/2, is it really safe to eat the eggs after 3 days???

Back
Top Bottom