Urgent - is this for sure a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Monkey Mama, Mar 2, 2009.

1. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    I have a friend coming in one hour to take most of my roos. I have to make a decision - keep or give away. I need to severley limit the roos I keep & I have 1 EE [Prince] & 1 cuckoo marans I am already definitely keeping.

So, tell me, is "David Tasselcock" for sure a roo? [He's 16 weeks, came from a "pure ameraucana" group of hatching eggs which produced several pure bred *aurancanas* and some mutts, but no pure ameraucanas - I believe David is a pure Auracana].

So, is he a roo?

David is the coolest chicken ever, I hate to get rid of him!

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    cockeral

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Either way, if he means that much to you, you should keep him

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Even if he was a roo, or a hen, I would still keep him. [​IMG]

5. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I am new and have no clue but he sure is beautiful! That one is a keeper no matter what! If it were me, I would make it work because he's so awesome-looking! (good name, too [​IMG] )

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    DON'T get rid of that bird! That is just AWESOME! You could make barred Araucanas with that bird!

He's not completely rumpless, so offspring will need to have that worked out, but that is just amazing!

What a gorgeous cockerel!

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:If the hatching eggs were from a group of pure bred ameraucanas, it's not possible to get pure bred araucanas from them. You shouldn't have gotten mutts they were pure bred eggs either. If you suspect that you were given pure bred araucana eggs from a seller by mistake, the only way to know for sure would to breed it to see if it breeds true.

8. The Monkey Mama

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    I'm sure he probably won't breed true. Who knows what he's mixed with really - the "breeder" he came from had both ameraucanas and auracanas, and I got some that seem to have come from an auracana roo over an auracana hen and some that were an EE/ameraucana/auracana cross of some sort - who knows. Let's just say the "breeder" was definitely "less than truthful" about her eggs [or seriously confused about what roo had access to what hens at the very least [​IMG] ].

I would not breed this roo as anything other than an "EE mutt" regardless, but he is SO cool looking and extremely sweet.... I may keep him even though I really, really don't need two EE roos!

Kelly

9. The Monkey Mama

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    OK....sniff sniff... I let David go. I hated to do it. At least I know he is going to a very good home.

We live in the 'burbs, and I'm already pushing my luck keeping the 2 big roos to begin with... *sigh*

I hope David lives a good long life and finds his "Pamela Henderson" to live happily ever after with. LOL!

thanks for the advice everyone!

Kelly

10. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Oh wow he would of definitly made a cool project . Barred araucanas or Crele would of been awsome .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by