Urgent - is this for sure a roo?

The Monkey Mama

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Kennesaw, GA
I have a friend coming in one hour to take most of my roos. I have to make a decision - keep or give away. I need to severley limit the roos I keep & I have 1 EE [Prince] & 1 cuckoo marans I am already definitely keeping.

So, tell me, is "David Tasselcock" for sure a roo? [He's 16 weeks, came from a "pure ameraucana" group of hatching eggs which produced several pure bred *aurancanas* and some mutts, but no pure ameraucanas - I believe David is a pure Auracana].

So, is he a roo?

David is the coolest chicken ever, I hate to get rid of him!

Thanks in advance!

Kelly

1111DAVID.jpg

11112DAVID.jpg

11113DAVID.jpg

Last edited:
I am new and have no clue but he sure is beautiful! That one is a keeper no matter what! If it were me, I would make it work because he's so awesome-looking! (good name, too
smile.png
)

DON'T get rid of that bird! That is just AWESOME! You could make barred Araucanas with that bird!

He's not completely rumpless, so offspring will need to have that worked out, but that is just amazing!

What a gorgeous cockerel!

Quote:
If the hatching eggs were from a group of pure bred ameraucanas, it's not possible to get pure bred araucanas from them. You shouldn't have gotten mutts they were pure bred eggs either. If you suspect that you were given pure bred araucana eggs from a seller by mistake, the only way to know for sure would to breed it to see if it breeds true.

I'm sure he probably won't breed true. Who knows what he's mixed with really - the "breeder" he came from had both ameraucanas and auracanas, and I got some that seem to have come from an auracana roo over an auracana hen and some that were an EE/ameraucana/auracana cross of some sort - who knows. Let's just say the "breeder" was definitely "less than truthful" about her eggs [or seriously confused about what roo had access to what hens at the very least
wink.png
].

I would not breed this roo as anything other than an "EE mutt" regardless, but he is SO cool looking and extremely sweet.... I may keep him even though I really, really don't need two EE roos!

Kelly

OK....sniff sniff... I let David go. I hated to do it. At least I know he is going to a very good home.

We live in the 'burbs, and I'm already pushing my luck keeping the 2 big roos to begin with... *sigh*

I hope David lives a good long life and finds his "Pamela Henderson" to live happily ever after with. LOL!

thanks for the advice everyone!

Kelly

Back
Top Bottom