URGENT: Just BROKE Wing! Do I set it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by princess araucana, Jun 15, 2010.

1. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I think my cuckoo maran fell out of her box and broke her wing. It is just the lower half of the wing, it is sticking out at a funny angle and the very tip of her wing bone is protruding through the skin a little.

Should I set the wing back in place??

Please help, this just happend a few minutes ago!

2. Friar_Tuck

Friar_Tuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Baudette MN
    you may get much better advice from others, but what I have done in that situation, is amptate just before the break.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    UGH..i dont know... [​IMG]
    If the bone is through the skin thats not good at all..i would be so worried about infection setting in...

4. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I assessed more and it looks like it is just the tippity tip of her wing! Like if you broke the 2nd joint on you pinky.
    She was walking around and eating and not acting hurt. Do they have any sense of pain at all!? Tough birds!! She is just holding it at a funny angle.
    I feel like amputaing would be a bit extreme since there is not much to clip off, it would make a larger wound than is there.
    I've seen huge wounds grain over on chickens so do you think a little piece of bone sticking out will heal too?

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I think amputation would be a good idea, but can't do it myself.

If the wing is sticking out at a strange angle then the bird will, no doubt, catch the wing. She could suffer further injuries.

I currently have a Brahma chick who has obviously broken a wing (Don't know how). As the wing is along the side of the body, just drooped down a bit, and the bone is not protruding through the skin, I have done nothing. My Brahmas never fly anyway as they are too heavy!

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by